Mush is a friendly term for mate, pal or friend - as in the friendly greeting, 'hello mush!'(rhymes with bush). It was common parlance in the south of England when I was a child, and I once read that it was an old Hampshire word. On searching the internet, I find that it's a Romany word meaning man, and 'Oi mush' should be taken as meaning 'excuse me sir'.

Mush is also the cry of dog-sled drivers to make their dogs move forward, derived from the French verb 'marcher' meaning to walk. It can also be the noun or the verb referring to the walk across the snow

http://www.picosearch.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl
http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict

Also a breakfast meal consisting of thoroughly crushed graham crackers mixed with milk to form a, well, "mushy" substance. I cannot comment on its tastiness, having never consumed it myself, nor can I estimate the ratio of milk to graham cracker, but I suddenly and randomly remembered having seen my younger brothers eating it on a near-daily basis. (WARNING: DIGRESSION FOLLOWS) It wasn't my style, though. I preferred my Lucky Charms or Nintendo Cereal System or what-have-you to be served and eaten dry, not being much of a milk drinker (save for a glass or two of chocolate milk to get my Parental Recommended Daily Allowance of milk, and in my high school years, I was a pop tart man. And then I discovered coffee.... (END OF DIGRESSION)

If anyone has ever eaten this for breakfast or any other meal, pop me a /msg and let me know, because it just dawned on me that this might have been one of my own mother's specialties that I should regret having missed out on.

 

Despite the size of my previous habits I have become a healthy person. Perhaps because of them. Cause and effect Clarice.

There are indications beyond the lack of my death that support or provide evidence as to this  change. Too many to list in any detail here, but still. But still, in all of life and our passage through it small objects or occurrences can describe far greater arcs. For instance, and in my case, Mush.

Good idea actually, everyone in America should eat it. The mornings would be best as it is designed to be a type of breakfast nutrient, but I often take a little more of it directly from the jar in my refrigerator late in the evening. Breakfast and supper's dessert. A top and tail of any good day.

It is, from the outside, woman food. That's what I thought of it when a woman I know well explained to me that another woman, the first woman's nutritionist, advised her to begin eating it and immediately.

Let us slide the recipe in and quickly and not lose the attention of anyone who might be only marginal. No need to worry. It's simple.

Get a pint jar with a screw lid. Or two pints. Put in some rolled oats, almond milk and yogurt in equal amounts until the jar is three quarters full. Add chia seeds (no idea, but readily available at the market if they have them at the market available to you) and then chop up some berries or if the berries you have to hand are small enough add them unchopped until the lid will just about fit, but tight.

Shake it well this jar. Turn it over and over end on end if you'd like. Rapidly, slowly. Put it in the fridge and wait until morning.

The oats swell. Not noticeably, but enough to bulk with the moisture.

You can serve it in a small glass bowl, as though ice-cream to the unwilling (limited portion etc), but I eat it like pizza, over the sink or while walking (albeit around this kitchen. Poorly dressed, hair awry, it's early).

It's good. Not in the way of many usual things that are good for you, but in the way of something you want to eat because you want to eat it. And it's ready when you are. Lasts a day or two before any need to worry as regards its health and safety, probably longer, but it never lasts that long. Too good.

It didn't have a name. I made up my own in a manner of quiet rebranding to make me feel comfortable that this material was indeed powerful stuff (virile even, although there are no studies).

Mush is what I call it aloud at night when it crosses my mind and I announce (to myself only) that I must make some for the morning's other man.

It takes two minutes.

Mush (?), n. [Cf. Gael. mus, muss, pap, porridge, any thick preparation of fruit, OHG. muos; akin to AS. & OS. mOs food, and prob, to E. meat. See Meat.]

Meal (esp. Indian meal) boiled in water; hasty pudding; supawn. [U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913


Mush, v. t. [Cf. F. moucheter to cut with small cuts.]

To notch, cut, or indent, as cloth, with a stamp.

 

© Webster 1913


Mush (?), n. [Perh. short for mush on, a corrupt of E. marchons, the cry of the voyageurs and coureurs de bois to their dogs.]

A march on foot, esp. across the snow with dogs; as, he had a long mush before him; -- also used attributively. [Colloq., Alaska & Northwestern U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913


Mush, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Mushed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Mushing.]

To travel on foot, esp. across the snow with dogs. -- v. t.

To cause to travel or journey. [Rare] [Colloq., Alaska & Northwestern U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913


Mush, v. t.

To notch, cut, or indent, as cloth, with a stamp.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.