In Latvian Mythology, "Mate" refers to any fairy or minor spirit.

1. A position in which one's primary identity is threatened and cannot move. Also known as checkmate.
2. a position in which one's primary identity is physically impacted with another's. Also known as sex 3. The other identity which creates either of these situations.

Well in in Australia, this is just a casual word for a friend. "Goin' down to the bar with my mates"

Hrm, I wonder whether people in the other parts of the world even realised that?

Maté (pronounced mah-TAY) is a South American, specifically Paraguayan plant that produces gourds and leaves. The leaves are dried to make a mild but caffeinated beverage that is consumed from the hollowed out gourd of the plant. Maté contains antioxidants and many nutritious vitamins and minerals. It is a good substitute for coffee and is starting to appear in many Herbal tea blends such as "Morning Thunder" from Celestial Seasonings™. Maté can be bought in bulk amounts of 1 kilogram from ethnic grocery stores, specifically South American ones.

And now I present you with:

Error404's Guide to Drinking Maté

Maté is generally sold in 1Kg cubes at health food stores and Mennonite grocery stores. If you pick it up at the Mennonite grocery stores, it'll be a lot cheaper than buying it at the health food store (Mennonites generally drink it out of tradition instead of out of health concerns).

Now, you'll need one or two other things to drink it properly. One of these is a Bumbillia, which is a metal straw with a screen on the end that makes it look something like a spoon with holes. It's rather imperative that you pick one up, as drinking mate without one will be more like eating. The other thing is not particularly important, but it's neat to have. It's called a Guampa, and it's a cup made of usually bullhorn, or if you're not a Paraguayan beef rancher, a gourd. If you don't have a guampa or don't want to buy one, a small glass will work fine.

Now, put a 3 or 4 tablespoons of maté in your guampa/cup. Add an inch and a half or so of hot water on top of it. Mix it up with your bumbillia, just to get all the maté grounds wet. Push the bumbillia to the bottom of the cup, so that the water/maté covers the screen. Now drink it from the straw. When you can't get any more water out of it, pour about the same amount of hot water over top, and drink some more. Continue this until you get bored, or it gets to be too weak.

If you want to get REALLY traditional with it, you'll drink it with friends, passed around in a circle (kind of like a joint).

Maté: Mennonite ganja.

Ma"te (?), n. [Sp.]

The Paraguay tea, being the dried leaf of the Brazilian holly (Ilex Paraguensis). The infusion has a pleasant odor, with an agreeable bitter taste, and is much used for tea in South America.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mate (?), n. [F. mat, abbrev. fr. 'echec et mat. See Checkmate.] Chess

Same as Checkmate.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mate, a.

See 2d Mat.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mate, v. t. [F. mater to fatigue, enfeeble, humiliate, checkmate. See Mate checkmate.]

1.

To confuse; to confound.

[Obs.]

Shak.

2.

To checkmate.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mate, n. [Perhaps for older make a companion; cf. also OD. maet companion, mate, D. maat. Cf. Make a companion, Match a mate.]

1.

One who customarily associates with another; a companion; an associate; any object which is associated or combined with a similar object.

2.

Hence, specifically, a husband or wife; and among the lower animals, one of a pair associated for propagation and the care of their young.

3.

A suitable companion; a match; an equal.

Ye knew me once no mate For you; there sitting where you durst not soar. Milton.

4. Naut.

An officer in a merchant vessel ranking next below the captain. If there are more than one bearing the title, they are called, respectively, first mate, second mate, third mate, etc. In the navy, a subordinate officer or assistant; as, master's mate; surgeon's mate.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mate, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mated; p. pr. & vb. n. Mating.]

1.

To match; to marry.

If she be mated with an equal husband. Shak.

2.

To match one's self against; to oppose as equal; to compete with.

There is no passion in the mind of man so weak but it mates and masters the fear of death. Bacon.

I, . . . in the way of loyalty and truth, . . . Dare mate a sounder man than Surrey can be. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mate, v. i.

To be or become a mate or mates, especially in sexual companionship; as, some birds mate for life; this bird will not mate with that one.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.