An invisible, intangible essence which has no empirically detectable effect on the real world, and which therefore may be regarded as not really existing, but rather being a fictional beastie similar to angels, demons, or Invisible Pink Unicorns.

Also, a liquor, an alcoholic beverage, or alcohol in general. Often used in the plural: spirits.

A rock and roll/jazz fusion group, they put out their best stuff 1968-1972. Spirit is:

Randy California: Vocals, Guitar
Jay Ferguson: Vocals, Percussion
Mark Andes: Bass
John Lock: Keyboards
Ed Cassidy: Drums, Percussion

They’re pretty good, though not the most well known band in America. Sound sort of like a mix between Traffic and Moby Grape – a lot of noodly jazzy bits for people who like that sort of thing, and a lot of good old fashioned electric rock and roll. Interesting tid-bits:

The intro to Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin is an utter rip from Taurus, an instrumental by these guys. See Stairway to Heaven for more info.
The drummer is the stepfather of the lead singer. Kooky.

For some good tunes, check out Fresh Garbage, the aforementioned Taurus, or I Got a Line on You.

KI KE iki (spirit)

ASCII Art Representation:


         # 
         ##
         #############
        ##
       #   #########

        ###############
                     ##
                #    ##
                ##   ##
          #    ##    ##
           ## ##      ##
             ##       ##
            ## ##      ##   #
           ##    ##     ## #
          #       ##      #

Character Etymology:

Originally and still a pictograph of vapors (the top radical] emerging from (cooked) rice (the bottom radical). Its meaning changed over time from something like "unseen movement," to "unseen force," to the present, "spirit" or "mind."

A listing of all on-yomi and kun-yomi readings:

on-yomi: KI KE
kun-yomi: iki

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: (none)

English Definitions:

  1. KI, KE: spirit, mind, soul, heart; intention; mood, feeling; temper, disposition, nature; air, atmosphere; flavor; odor; energy, essence; spark, flash.
  2. ki(ni)suru: mind, care, take to heart, be nervous about.
  3. ki(ni)naru: to weigh on the mind
  4. ki(ga)suru: think, feel.
  5. ki(ga)aru: to have the intention of doing (something).
  6. -ke, -ge: feeling, taste.

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

気に入る (ki ni iru): be pleased with.
気分 (kibun): mood, feelings.
気動車 (kidoosha): diesel train.
電気 (denki): electricity.
気軽な (kigaru na): cheerful, buoyant, lighthearted.
気管 (kikan): windpipe, trachea.

  Previous: learning  |  Japanese Kanji  |  Next: nine

On September 16th, 1998, Jewel completed recording her sophomore album,Spirit. During recording Jewel had a bit of trouble deciding on the title for the album. While she originally intended to title it Spirit, she at one point had changed the the title to Hands . After much consideration she went back to the original title, and on November 17th, 1998, Spirit was in the stores. Recording took place in Los Angeles and was produced by Patrick Leonard, who has produced for Madonna in the past. The studio was located near a stable where Jewel could spend her breaks horseback riding.

While not as raw as her debut album, it is still well worth the money. These tracks are more refined than the ones on Pieces of You, yet her unmistakable open nature and charm are still very much intact. This is evident just by taking a look at the cd insert. The quotes and pictures made the cd a good buy before I got it into my player. The album contains thirteen tracks as well as a bonus track. The thirteen listed tracks on the album were all written by Jewel, with the exception of Hands, which was co-written by Patrick Leonard. She cites the stories, encouragement, and prayers of her fans as the inspiration for the album.

The album's first single is Hands. There is a quote from the song that Jewel has been saying for years "In the end only kindness matters". That sentiment continues as the theme throughout the rest of the album.

Down So Long is the second single of the album. Unlike most of these tracks Down So Long isn't all about poetic lyrics. There's a hip-hop touch in the rhythm section on the song confirmed in the third verse when Jewel actually raps for about two bars. It peaked high in several charts around the world, but it didn't do as well as Hands.1

The third and fourth singles Jupiter(Swallow the Moon) and Life Uncommon did not do nearly as well as the first two. Jupiter recieved a bit of airplay, barely braking into the charts, while Life Uncommon went all but unnoticed.

The bonus track is the the song "This Little Bird" which was written by James D Loudermilk. The song is performed by Lenedra "Nedra" Carroll who is Jewel's Mother as well as her manager. Jewel does appear in the song performing the harmony vocals. Jewel mentions in the credits that "Listening to my Mother sing this song to me as a child is one of my first memories."2

Overall the album has done well, upon its release it held the #3 spot on the Billboard 200 and achieved Gold Status in its first week. It has also earned three Certified Platinum Awards, the third of which was given on January 15th, 1999.


1www.cdnow.com
2 www.vh1.com/artists/az/jewel/bio.jhtml

Track List

  1. Deep Water 4:16
  2. What's Simple is True 3:34
  3. Hands 3:54
  4. Kiss the Flame 3:17
  5. Down So Long 4:13
  6. Innocence Maintained 4:08
  7. Jupiter 4:18
  8. Fat Boy 2:54
  9. Enter From the East 4:02
  10. Barcelona 3:53
  11. Life Uncommon 4:56
  12. Do You 4:21
  13. Absence of Fear* 3:43

* also bonus track This Little Bird 2:43

Spir"it (?), n. [OF. espirit, esperit, F. esprit, L. spiritus, from spirare to breathe, to blow. Cf. Conspire, Expire, Esprit, Sprite.]

1.

Air set in motion by breathing; breath; hence, sometimes, life itself.

[Obs.] "All of spirit would deprive."

Spenser.

The mild air, with season moderate, Gently attempered, and disposed eo well, That still it breathed foorth sweet spirit. Spenser.

2.

A rough breathing; an aspirate, as the letter h; also, a mark to denote aspiration; a breathing.

[Obs.]

Be it a letter or spirit, we have great use for it. B. Jonson.

3.

Life, or living substance, considered independently of corporeal existence; an intelligence conceived of apart from any physical organization or embodiment; vital essence, force, or energy, as distinct from matter.

4.

The intelligent, immaterial and immortal part of man; the soul, in distinction from the body in which it resides; the agent or subject of vital and spiritual functions, whether spiritual or material.

There is a spirit in man; and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding. Job xxxii. 8.

As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James ii. 26.

Spirit is a substance wherein thinking, knowing, doubting, and a power of moving, do subsist. Locke.

5.

Specifically, a disembodied soul; the human soul after it has left the body.

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Eccl. xii. 7.

Ye gentle spirits far away, With whom we shared the cup of grace. Keble.

6.

Any supernatural being, good or bad; an apparition; a specter; a ghost; also, sometimes, a sprite,; a fairy; an elf.

Whilst young, preserve his tender mind from all impressions of spirits and goblins in the dark. Locke.

7.

Energy, vivacity, ardor, enthusiasm, courage, etc.

"Write it then, quickly," replied Bede; and summoning all his spirits together, like the last blaze of a candle going out, he indited it, and expired. Fuller.

8.

One who is vivacious or lively; one who evinces great activity or peculiar characteristics of mind or temper; as, a ruling spirit; a schismatic spirit.

Such spirits as he desired to please, such would I choose for my judges. Dryden.

9.

Temper or disposition of mind; mental condition or disposition; intellectual or moral state; -- often in the plural; as, to be cheerful, or in good spirits; to be downhearted, or in bad spirits.

God has . . . made a spirit of building succeed a spirit of pulling down. South.

A perfect judge will read each work of wit With the same spirit that its author writ. Pope.

10.

Intent; real meaning; -- opposed to the letter, or to formal statement; also, characteristic quality, especially such as is derived from the individual genius or the personal character; as, the spirit of an enterprise, of a document, or the like.

11.

Tenuous, volatile, airy, or vapory substance, possessed of active qualities.

All bodies have spirits . . . within them. Bacon.

12.

Any liquid produced by distillation; especially, alcohol, the spirits, or spirit, of wine (it having been first distilled from wine): -- often in the plural.

13. pl.

Rum, whisky, brandy, gin, and other distilled liquors having much alcohol, in distinction from wine and malt liquors.

14. Med.

A solution in alcohol of a volatile principle. Cf. Tincture.

U. S. Disp.

15. Alchemy

Any one of the four substances, sulphur, sal ammoniac, quicksilver, or arsenic (or, according to some, orpiment).

The four spirits and the bodies seven. Chaucer.

16. Dyeing

Stannic chloride. See under Stannic.

Spirit is sometimes joined with other words, forming compounds, generally of obvious signification; as, spirit-moving, spirit-searching, spirit-stirring, etc.

Astral spirits, Familiar spirits, etc. See under Astral, Familiar, etc. -- Animal spirits. (a) Physiol. The fluid which at one time was supposed to circulate through the nerves and was regarded as the agent of sensation and motion; -- called also the nervous fluid, or nervous principle. (b) Physical health and energy; frolicsomeness; sportiveness. -- Ardent spirits, strong alcoholic liquors, as brandy, rum, whisky, etc., obtained by distillation. -- Holy Spirit, or The Spirit Theol., the Spirit of God, or the third person of the Trinity; the Holy Ghost. The spirit also signifies the human spirit as influenced or animated by the Divine Spirit. -- Proof spirit. Chem. See under Proof. -- Rectified spirit Chem., spirit rendered purer or more concentrated by redistillation, so as to increase the percentage of absolute alcohol. -- Spirit butterfly Zool., any one of numerous species of delicate butterflies of tropical America belonging to the genus Ithomia. The wings are gauzy and nearly destitute of scales. -- Spirit duck. Zool. (a) The buffle-headed duck. (b) The golden-eye. -- Spirit lamp Art, a lamp in which alcohol or methylated spirit is burned. -- Spirit level. See under Level. -- Spirit of hartshorn. Old Chem. See under Hartshorn. -- Spirit of Mindererus Med., an aqueous solution of acetate of ammonium; -- named after R. Minderer, physician of Augsburg. -- Spirit of nitrous ether Med. Chem., a pale yellow liquid, of a sweetish taste and a pleasant ethereal odor. It is obtained by the distillation of alcohol with nitric and sulphuric acids, and consists essentially of ethyl nitrite with a little acetic aldehyde. It is used a diaphoretic, diuretic, antispasmodic, etc. Called also sweet spirit of niter. -- Spirit of salt Chem., hydrochloric acid; -- so called because obtained from salt and sulphuric acid. [Obs.] -- Spirit of sense, the utmost refinement of sensation. [Obs.] Shak. -- Spirits, or Spirit, of turpentine Chem., rectified oil of turpentine, a transparent, colorless, volatile, and very inflammable liquid, distilled from the turpentine of the various species of pine; camphine. See Camphine. -- Spirit of vitriol Chem., sulphuric acid; -- so called because formerly obtained by the distillation of green vitriol. [Obs.] -- Spirit of vitriolic ether Chem. ether; -- often but incorrectly called sulphuric ether. See Ether. [Obs.] -- Spirits, or Spirit, of wine Chem., alcohol; -- so called because formerly obtained by the distillation of wine. -- Spirit rapper, one who practices spirit rapping; a "medium" so called. -- Spirit rapping, an alleged form of communication with the spirits of the dead by raps. See Spiritualism, 3. -- Sweet spirit of niter. See Spirit of nitrous ether, above.

Syn. -- Life; ardor; energy; fire; courage; animatioon; cheerfulness; vivacity; enterprise.

 

© Webster 1913.


Spir"it (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Spirited; p. pr. & vb. n. Spiriting.]

1.

To animate with vigor; to excite; to encourage; to inspirit; as, civil dissensions often spirit the ambition of private men; -- sometimes followed by up.

Many officers and private men spirit up and assist those obstinate people to continue in their rebellion. Swift
.

2.

To convey rapidly and secretly, or mysteriously, as if by the agency of a spirit; to kidnap; -- often with away, or off

.

The ministry had him spirited away, and carried abroad as a dangerous person. Arbuthnot & Pope.

I felt as if I had been spirited into some castle of antiquity. Willis.

Spiriting away Law, causing to leave; the offense of inducing a witness to leave a jurisdiction so as to evade process requiring attendance at trial.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.