To be specific, Nagoya is located in, and is the capital of Aichi prefecture in the Chubu district on Honshu island. It dates back to the early 17 century when the Owari clans built a great castle there. Famous historical figures who are native of this area (Aichi prefecture) include Tokugawa Ieyasu, Oda Nobunaga, and Toyotomi Hideyoshi.

blah, blah, blah, boring, boring, boring, who cares!!! It is almost the 21st century!

Tell ya what, Nagoya is a great place and every salaryman will agree. It is not great because of the rich history, or the kishi noodles, the TV tower, the Nagoya Dome or the Chuunichi Dragons baseball team, the bay, the Nagoya Grampus soccer team, or the Nagoya dialect. But before I let you know what is great, you must know first that Nagoya is conveniently located between Tokyo and Osaka on the Tokaido Shinkansen Line. Thus, it has become well known stopping spot on business trips for salaryman to enjoy what Nagoya has really become famous for: pachinko parlors and soapland. There are lots of 'em, are said to be some of the best in Japan, and they are the pride of Nagoya.

Lastly, what you need to know about Nagoya, I will tell you in a little story about when I went there in June of 2000. I went to Nagoya to visit a friend from college who was born and raised there. After I arrived via shinkansen, of course, I was asked what I wanted to do. At that time, as a kyuuryou dorobou and because I hadn't seen him for over a year, the only thing I could think of is naturally going to drink. Upon which my friend replied with a smile, "Well, it is early, so lets go to Nagoya castle". He noticed that I was a little surprised at his reply, and he calmly explained with one word "We can drink there" (yeah, that is 4 words, but in Japanese one word dammit - nomeruze!). And that is what we did. We drank and got drunk, right in front of that great historic Nagoya Castle.

Ahh, Nagoya, what a great place!

Nagoya is an important city of Japan, half way between Tokyo and Osaka. Some important local sons: Akio Morita, one of the founders of Sony, and the Toyoda family, founders of Toyota. The first Toyota headquarters were in Nagoya. Nice things in Nagoya: the aquarium at the port, the zoo, the shopping district in Sakae (downtown), Nagoya Castle, TV tower. Bad things: the most wet, unbearable summer of central Japan.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.