A character in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, Naomi was the wife of Elimelech and the mother of two sons Mahlon and Chilion. When her husband dies she tried to send her daughter's-in-law Ruth and Orpah. (Ruth is who the book Naomi appears in is named) back to their families, but they refuse. Orpah goes back, but Ruth insists of following her mother-in-law. When Naomi and Ruth go to Bethlehem Naomi tells the people of Bethlehem to call her Mara because of all the misfortunes that have befallen her.

The NAOMI (New Arcade Operation Machine Idea) was an arcade architechture released by SEGA in 1998, and as metioned above, was broadly similar to the Dreamcast. However, it had significantly more main and graphic memory. Acording to SEGA, Naomi is Japanese for "beauty above all else", though I've been unable to confirm this.

Main Ram : 32 megs
CPU : SH-4 64-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
Graphic Engine : PowerVR (PVR2DC)
Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)
Main Memory : 32 MByte
Graphic Memory : 16 MByte
Sound Memory : 8 MByte
Media : ROM Board (maximum size of 168 MBytes) / GD-Rom
Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
Polygons : 2.5 Million polys/sec
Rendering Speed : 500 M pixel/sec
Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

The Naomi uses ROM boards, up to 168 Mb, or GD-ROM media. There are over 60 games on available for Naomi, but only a few (House of the Dead 2, Crazy Taxi, Capcom vs. SNK) are well known outside of Japan.

The Naomi 2 is an upgraded version of Naomi, with a much more powerful graphics engine (quadrupled polygons per second and rendering speed compared to the original naomi).

CPU : SH-4 128-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
Graphic Engine : 2 x PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC-CLX2) GPU's
Geometry Processor : Custom Videologic T+L chip "Elan" (100mhz) -
Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)
Main Memory : 32 MByte 100Mhz SDRAM
Graphic Memory : 32 MByte
Model Data Memory : 32MByte
Sound Memory : 8 MByte
Media : ROM Board / GD-Rom
Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
Polygons : 10 Million polys/sec with 6 light sources
Rendering Speed :
2000 Mpixels/sec (unrealistic max, assumes overdraw of 10x which nothing uses)
Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Multiple Fog Modes, 8-bit Alpha Blending (256 levels of transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Super Sampling for Full Scene Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

Naomi 2 was released in 2001, and has only a handful of (stunningly beautiful) games, including Virtua Fighter 4, and Virtua Striker 3. I've never seen these here in the UK, and they may be Japan only ATM.

When Naomi was in her 50's, she gave the business-like appearance of being straight laced. She was usually impeccably dressed, with designer fashions, moderate heels, occasional hats, and the little black bag. She politely pursued her real-estate business goals.

I saw her at a neighborhood party and was surprised when she publicly stated she liked doing her house cleaning in the nude. I was 12 years old at the time. She noticed my innocent surprise.

She explained her clothes stayed cleaner when she took them off to do the house cleaning, and she’d be heading for the shower, anyway.

I made the mistake of mentioning that to one of the neighbors. They responded, "Yes, she also sometimes does her backyard gardening that way, and sunbathing. Sometimes she cleans at night, with the curtains open and leaves on the light. She's careless about it." After that, I occasionally spied her in the back yard. The neighbor was right.

One day Naomi saw me walking down the street and asked if I would mow her lawn for twenty dollars. So I did.

Half way through the mowing, she came out and asked if I'd like to come into the cool for some lemonade. So I did.

She was scantily dressed, and her lemonade was great. She brushed herself against me once or twice. I recall a funny feeling, and saying, “I think I’d better go finish the mowing.”

Looking back, I think a 12 year old boy may have missed something.

PostcardQuest2011 -- Can you show me?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.