A common abbreviation for "Internet" -- the basis of the World Wide Web.

In the context of an electronic circuit, a 'net' is one of the terms used to describe component interconnections.

See also: wire, node, signal

In mathematics, a net is a generalisation of the concept of a sequence. Recall that a sequence of elements in a set X can be defined as a function on the natural numbers which assigns an element of X to each natural number. A net is a similar object, but with the natural numbers replaced with a more general index set: a net in X is a function from some directed set A into X.

Note that the directed index set A need not be countable or totally ordered, both of which are properties of the natural numbers that render sequences too restrictive for certain mathematical tasks (notably within advanced topology).

Net meaning “mesh” comes from the Middle English nett, which in turn borrows from the Proto-Germanic natjan. Meaning “remaining after deductions”, it first appears in the 18th century and has roots in the Old French net “pure, clean, bright” (the same predecessor of neat).

Of course, modern day computer users are intimately familiar with the ‘net’, which is commonly believed to be a shortening of Internet. In fact, it is originally a contraction of just network, coming from a time before the modern Internet was born.

Network first saw use in the 19th century to mean “inter-linking system”, and when computing began to grow it was naturally used to talk about systems of computers connected to each other.

The first proposal of large-scale computer networking came from J.C.R. Licklider of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who in 1962 envisaged a world-wide network of computers allowing everybody to speedily access information1. The idea sounded a little far-fetched at the time, but in 1961 came the first paper on packet switching theory2 followed by the first book in 19643. Packet switching technology made fast data transfer over a large distance feasible.

Eventually, wide scale computer networks such as ARPANET sprang up around America and became gradually interconnected. ‘The Network’ or ‘the net’ was the common term for this conglomeration, and was especially popular amongst the hacker culture that was quickly born. After the public discovery of the network called the Internet in the early 1990s, the term has been embraced by the masses, though technically the Internet still only refers to part of the Network.

The term Internet itself comes from early work done by Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn, creators of the TCP/IP protocol that is used to allow computers to communicate with each other online. Their programme was called ‘Internetting’ from ‘inter-networking’ and refers to their attempts to collectively network existing networks of systems. In 1995, the Federal Networking Council officially defined the word Internet, which has since passed into widespread use.

1. Licklider, J.C.R and Clark, W. ‘On-Line Man Computer Communication’, August 1962
2. Kleinrock, L. ‘Information Flow in Large Communication Nets’, RLE Quarterly Progress Report, July 1961.
3. Kleinrock, L. Communication Nets: Stochastic Message Flow and Delay, New York: Mcgraw-Hill, 1964.

NB. This is my own work, adapted from my English Language university project

What is NET?

NET stands for Natural Environment Training and was developed by Sandberg and Partington. This type of training focuses on a child's immediate interests and activities as a guide for instruction. It is conducted in the child's typical daily environment rather than in formal teaching arrangements. Many different teaching techniques, including DTT, can be used in the NET program. Advantages of NET include optimal conditions to teach manding (verbal requests), the use of stimuli in the natural environment as target instructions (for example functional play), the reduced need to elaborate generalization procedures (since we are already using SDs from a generalized environment), the naturalistic instructional context, the ease of teaching intraverbal behavior (functional speech that is elicited by the child without the presence of a prompt), and the reduced need for aversive control.

Most of this information is derived from my own knowledge of the subject as well as my traning manual copyright 2003 Jacobsen/Matchneva ABA Consulting.

Net (?), n. [AS. net; akin to D. net, OS. net, netti, OHG. nezzi, G. netz, Icel. & Dan. net, Sw. nat, Goth. nati; of uncertain origin.]

1.

A fabric of twine, thread, or the like, wrought or woven into meshes, and used for catching fish, birds, butterflies, etc.

2.

Anything designed or fitted to entrap or catch; a snare; any device for catching and holding.

A man that flattereth his neighbor spreadeth a net for his feet. Prov. xxix. 5.

In the church's net there are fishes good or bad. Jer. Taylor.

3.

Anything wrought or woven in meshes; as, a net for the hair; a mosquito net; a tennis net.

4. Geom.

A figure made up of a large number of straight lines or curves, which are connected at certain points and related to each other by some specified law.

 

© Webster 1913.


Net, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Netted (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Netting.]

1.

To make into a net; to make in the style of network; as, to net silk.

2.

To take in a net; to capture by stratagem or wile.

And now I am here, netted and in the toils. Sir W. Scott.

3.

To inclose or cover with a net; as, to net a tree.

 

© Webster 1913.


Net, v. i.

To form network or netting; to knit.

 

© Webster 1913.


Net, a. [F. See Neat clean.]

1.

Without spot; pure; shining.

[Obs.]

Her breast all naked as net ivory. Spenser.

2.

Free from extraneous substances; pure; unadulterated; neat; as, net wine, etc.

[R.]

3.

Not including superfluous, incidental, or foreign matter, as boxes, coverings, wraps, etc.; free from charges, deductions, etc; as, net profit; net income; net weight, etc.

[Less properly written nett.]

Net tonnage Naut., the tonnage of a vessel after a deduction from the gross tonnage has been made, to allow space for crew, machinery, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Net, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Netted; p. pr. & vb. n. Netting.]

To produce or gain as clear profit; as, he netted a thousand dollars by the operation.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.