In the context of the Unix operating system family, "signal" refers to a specific operating system construct by which a process is informed of the occurance of some asynchronous event.

If you want to know more, then you will want to look at this node.

In the much-denounced 1947 Shannon-Weaver model of communication, signal is the encoded message sent from an information source to a destination. In this model, all communication is assumed to be an attempt to perfectly replicate meaning from one brain to another. Becuase of this assumption, Shannon and Weaver were mostly concerned with the clarity of the signal, which is degraded by noise.

Nazi-era German magazine, written for and circulated to non-German readers in allied, neutral and occupied countries from 1940 to 1945. At its height Signal had a circulation of 2,500,000 copies, published fortnightly and distributed around the world in 35 different languages.

Signal was ahead of its time as a German publication. Based on the layout of Life magazine, the near folio sized magazine was richly illustrated with run of page colour plates and photojournalism spreads. It would not look dissimilar to a coffee table magazine of the 1960s, and certainly would have stood out as something bright, fresh and cheery to read amongst other journals in occupied Europe.

Written for a foreign audience, it was (1) partially independent from the controls of Joseph Goebbel's Ministry of Propaganda and Enlightenment, (2) mercifully free of Gothic typeface, and (3) was less prone to giving hectoring or overtly Jew-baiting editorials than highly selective but well considered commentary. The editors knew at the time that they were competing for the hearts and minds of populations Germany had subjugated, so pan-European ideals that were in Germany's interests were promoted (often being nothing more than being that Germany's vassal states should supply cannon fodder to the Eastern front). Signal was available in the United States in English at least until 1942, vainly giving Germany's side of the story to an audience with access to a freer mass media.

Signal Magazine is also a monthly magazine of the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association, and a Finnish magazine promoting pen-pal relationships. Neither magazine has Nazi affiliations.

ref: http://uw3.de/signal.htm

Sig"nal (?), n. [F., fr. LL. signale, fr. L. signum. See Sign, n.]

1.

A sign made for the purpose of giving notice to a person of some occurence, command, or danger; also, a sign, event, or watchword, which has been agreed upon as the occasion of concerted action.

All obeyed The wonted signal and superior voice Of this great potentate. Milton.

2.

A token; an indication; a foreshadowing; a sign.

The weary sun . . . Gives signal of a goodly day to-morrow. Shak.

There was not the least signal of the calamity to be seen. De Foc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sig"nal, a. [From signal, n.: cf. F. signal'e.]

1.

Noticeable; distinguished from what is ordinary; eminent; remarkable; memorable; as, a signal exploit; a signal service; a signal act of benevolence.

As signal now in low, dejected state As erst in highest, behold him where he lies. Milton.

2.

Of or pertaining to signals, or the use of signals in conveying information; as, a signal flag or officer.

The signal service, a bureau of the government (in the United States connected with the War Department) organized to collect from the whole country simultaneous raports of local meteorological conditions, upon comparison of which at the central office, predictions concerning the weather are telegraphed to various sections, where they are made known by signals publicly displayed. -- Signal station, the place where a signal is displayed; specifically, an observation office of the signal service.

Syn. -- Eminent; remarkable; memorable; extraordinary; notable; conspicuous.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sig"nal, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Signaled () or Signalled; p. pr. & vb. n. Signaling or Signalling.]

1.

To communicate by signals; as, to signal orders.

2.

To notify by a signals; to make a signal or signals to; as, to signal a fleet to anchor.

M. Arnold.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.