When one's career has reached it's apex. Normally used to denote when a person has create work which they will not be able to surpass.

Peak (?), n. [OE. pek, AS. peac, perh of Celtic origin; cf. Ir. peac a sharp-pointed thing. Cf. Pike.]

1.

A point; the sharp end or top of anything that terminates in a point; as, the peak, or front, of a cap.

"Run your beard into a peak."

Beau. & Fl.

2.

The top, or one of the tops, of a hill, mountain, or range, ending in a point; often, the whole hill or mountain, esp. when isolated; as, the Peak of Teneriffe.

Silent upon a peak in Darien. Keats.

3. Naut. (a)

The upper aftermost corner of a fore-and-aft sail; -- used in many combinations; as, peak-halyards, peak-brails, etc.

(b)

The narrow part of a vessel's bow, or the hold within it.

(c)

The extremity of an anchor fluke; the bill.

[In the last sense written also pea and pee.]

Fore peak. Naut. See under Fore.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peak, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Peaked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Peaking.]

1.

To rise or extend into a peak or point; to form, or appear as, a peak.

There peaketh up a mighty high mount. Holand.

2.

To acquire sharpness of figure or features; hence, to look thin or sicky.

"Dwindle, peak, and pine."

Shak.

3. [Cf. Peek.]

To pry; to peep slyly.

Shak.

Peak arch Arch., a pointed or Gothic arch.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peak, v. t. Naut.

To raise to a position perpendicular, or more nearly so; as, to peak oars, to hold them upright; to peak a gaff or yard, to set it nearer the perpendicular.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.