In Northern Kentucky the word "please" is used like the word "what" (as in, "what did you say?"). I've been told that this is a peculiarity of just N. Kentucky. Example:

Mr. Foo: Did you ::garble:: the ::garble:: last night?
Mr. Bar: Please?
Mr. Foo: Did you catch the game last night?

I never actually use the word "please" like this, but I often interpret it that way. I worked for Staples' Delivery Service taking orders over the phone for awhile. An example conversational problem:

Me: Would you like some Staples' copy paper with that?
Customer:: Please.
Me: Would you like some Staples' copy paper with...
Customer (frustrated) Yes!!

I imagine there can also be other problems with this. If someone says, "I'm gonna ::garble:: you so bad you'll be in traction for a month", it's probably better to say, "huh?", "what?" or just run. It would definitely be bad to say "Please?"

Please

remember me
I'll be gone
		only a memory
remember me
	hate to fade away
forgotten
a		misprint
	  in that
	manuscript
  of your life
remember me

remember you
	how could I forget
you meant so much
		so soon

remember me
   you shook the tree
and leaves fell down
a blossom for you
from me

Please (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pleased; p. pr. & vb. n. Pleasing.] [OE. plesen, OF. plaisir, fr. L. placere, akin to placare to reconcile. Cf. Complacent, Placable, Placid, Plea, Plead, Pleasure.]

1.

To give pleasure to; to excite agreeable sensations or emotions in; to make glad; to gratify; to content; to satisfy.

I pray to God that it may plesen you. Chaucer.

What next I bring shall please thee, be assured. Milton.

2.

To have or take pleasure in; hence, to choose; to wish; to desire; to will.

Whatsoever the Lord pleased, that did he. Ps. cxxxv. 6.

A man doing as he wills, and doing as he pleases, are the same things in common speech. J. Edwards.

3.

To be the will or pleasure of; to seem good to; -- used impersonally.

"It pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell."

Col. i. 19.

To-morrow, may it please you. Shak.

To be pleased inwith, to have complacency in; to take pleasure in. -- To be pleased to do a thing, to take pleasure in doing it; to have the will to do it; to think proper to do it.

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Please (?), v. i.

1.

To afford or impart pleasure; to excite agreeable emotions.

What pleasing scemed, for her now pleases more. Milton.

For we that live to please, must please to live. Johnson.

2.

To have pleasure; to be willing, as a matter of affording pleasure or showing favor; to vouchsafe; to consent.

Heavenly stranger, please to taste These bounties. Milton.

That he would please 8give me my liberty. Swift.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.