Slang term for Amyl Nitrite. This drug (an inhalant) was most popular during the disco area, and is still used. It is a rush drug, and can be used as an antidote for cyanide poisoning.

It can be bought legally in most sex shops (sold as 'room deoderizers' or 'incense'), as this drug is often mixed with sexual activity.

The basic effect is to cause all of the muscles of the body to relax, which is why poppers are so popular among gay men -- they make anal intercourse easier. One of the related effects is vasodilation, or relaxation of blood vessels. This gives the user a warm sensation all over the body and causes large amounts of oxygen-bearing blood to rush through the brain, thus giving the user a 'rush.' The increase in oxygen also leads to a sudden intensification of current positive emotions, thus increasing one's lust and lack of inhibition, encouraging a sense of raw animal sexuality.



Some words of warning

People with heart problems should not use poppers, and it's widely agreed that people with suppressed immune systems should avoid them as well. Even if Amyl Nitrite effects mixes well with THC, do not forget that all forms of poppers are highly flammable; don't use them if you're smoking or have candles nearby.

Also, n-nitrites are harmful if swallowed and burn the skin (and mucous membranes of the nose if you're not careful).



I particularly enjoy mixing Poppers with musical activities. Back in the days, Jim Morrison would often break a capsule full of Amyl Nitrite under Ray Manzarek's nose, just before one of his long organ* solo. The rush is then just awesome, coming from both the drug and the music playing.



* No pun intended, silly you.



Source : http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/inhalants/inhalants_info1.shtml ; http://leda.lycaeum.org/Chemicals/Amyl_nitrite.389.shtml ; The Doors ; my personal experience
Popper is also a web based POP3 (Post Office Protocal) client. It sits on the server and talks to Apache and MySQL, allowing anyone with your (hopefully non-guessable) password and account name to read your e-mail with any CSS enabled browser on the internet. Awesome for people that access the web from different boxes everyday, not a good idea for people who use '31337' as their password.

This GPL'd program (perhaps script would be more accurate) is written in PHP4 and includes the following features (as expected of any mail client):
  • multiple POP3 server support
  • compose/reply/forward/send support
  • html-written email viewing support
  • an address book
  • a calender
Anyone vaguly interested in checking out this nifty piece of code could find it at http://ractive.ch/popper/.

Pop"per (?), n.

A utensil for popping corn, usually a wire basket with a long handle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pop"per, n.

A dagger.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.