The Puzzler magazine is one of Britain’s many word puzzle magazines, and perhaps the most popular. It contains many variations on the typical crossword puzzle, some of which are listed below:

*Straight – straightforward, dictionary-definition clues.

*Roundabout – a circular puzzle where solutions to Radial clues either read inwards from the outer edge of the circle, or outwards from the inner ring to the outer edge, and solutions to circular clues read in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction.

*Keyword – each letter in the grid is represented by a number, eg A=14, B=20, C=3. Solvers must decide which number represents which letter (three letters are given to start with).

*Pieceword – a solution grid has been cut into 3x3 pieces, and these must be fitted into the grid again, to re-form the pattern giving the correct solution. (The Across clues are given, although this puzzle can be solved without looking at them, or perhaps just sneaking an occasional peek!)

*Missing links – each clue lists three words, all of which are linked with the answer, eg BED links with FLOWER, SHEET, and SPREAD.

*Jig-word - only the answers are listed, which have to be fitted into the grid.

*Dilemma – two normal crosswords are shown, but the clues are mixed up, and solvers must decide which clues go with which grid two words are given as a start.

*Skeleton – a diagramless crossword, where black squares and clue numbers have to be filled in as well as the clue answers.

*Continuity – a grid with no squares, only heavy lines marking the end of words.

*Story crossword – a biography of a historical figure is given and the blank space in the story are filled by words which are transferred to the grid. The name of the figure is then revealed.

*Tipword – boxes containing clues are printed in the grid in place of the normal black squares, and arrows from the clues indicate where answers should be placed.

*Cross-quiz – the clues take the form of quiz questions.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.