In a game of Tennis or Four square or Ping-pong or some similar such game with drop the ball and lose style rules, an unusually long session of hitting the ball back and forth without any points being scored will often be referred to as a rally, i.e. "That was a good rally."

In a vaguely similar sense, on the Stock Market a rally is when the market manages to temporarily trap itself in a feedback loop of driving up prices; people notice stock prices are going up a bit and start buying in hopes that the stock prices will keep rising, causing the prices to keep rising because more people are buying, causing more people to want to buy, until everything just snowballs and a couple hours later the entire market is significantly better off.

Rally is also the name of the lead character from Gunsmith Cats, the tall one with absurdly good aim.

Rally is the name for the most thrilling car racing event. In a comparison to other motor racing events, this one has some specialities.

Firstly, the speed is not unlimited, unless for the Special Stages. The crew, consisting of a driver and a co-driver, must follow given itinerary and come to the next time control at the exactly specified moment. Not earlier, not later. By this way the average speed of the race is set. The second main difference is, that this event takes places entirely or partly on the roads open to a normal traffic, instead of being held on the closed circuits.

The rally consists mainly of a single itinerary, which must be followed by all cars. The route is divided to Legs. The Leg is a part of the rally, basicly consisting of a group of smaller parts (Special Stage, Service, etc.). The rally may include one or several Special Stages. These are the time-measured speed tests. The road for these stages is closed for the traffic while the test goes on. The route between the Special Stages (set by two consecutive time controls as well) is called a Road Section.

During the race there are in general two kinds of stops: Service and Regrouping. Both are scheduled with a Time Control at the entrance and exit. Regrouping is under Parc Fermé conditions. During the Service there are allowed some necessary repairs, refuelling, etc. in the special area. The Regrouping is done to adjust the order of the cars in which they continue the race and thus start to the Special Stages. This is vital, because if the slower crews start before the faster ones, they make them loose the precious seconds.

Parc Fermé is an area in which no repairs or outside assistance is possible.

The goal of this event is to drive through the Special Stages in the minimum of time. The times from each Special Stage are added up and the crew with the smallest accumulated time, that means the fastest car, is the winner. To achieve the maximum possible speed the crew uses the Road Book, with the detailed description of the route that has to be followed. The co-driver makes also even more detailed notes about the road, which he reads to the driver during the race. It is like dictating the corners to him, so the driver knows exactly which turn follows and how fast he can take it. When passing the Time Controls the crew uses also the Time Card, where it receives stamps to confirm that they have followed the specified route.

The beauty of this event for the fans is not only in watching the fast cars pushing the limits on the road but there is also enough adrenalin of a different type. When a fan wants to follow and support his team or crew on the road, he must overtake them to meet them somewhere during the next Speacial Stage again. Unfortunately, this is hardly possible so the fans are usually meeting the crew only on the second next stage or even later. Doing this, they take a part of the event as well. However, this event needs safety precautions more them any other one and these have to be followed by both sides, the teams and the fans as well.

General rules applied to Rally Championships, Trophies, Challenges and Cups are set by FIA.

Considering the levels, the top one is World Rally Championship or WRC, followed by continental, national and regional events. For each level the crew has to gain a special license to be allowed to race at the FIA sanctioned event.

Ral"ly (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Rallied (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Rallying.] [OF. ralier, F. rallier, fr. L. pref. re- + ad + ligare to bind. See Ra-, and 1st Ally.]

To collect, and reduce to order, as troops dispersed or thrown into confusion; to gather again; to reunite.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ral"ly, v. i.

1.

To come into orderly arrangement; to renew order, or united effort, as troops scattered or put to flight; to assemble; to unite.

The Grecians rally, and their powers unite. Dryden.

Innumerable parts of matter chanced just then to rally together, and to form themselves into this new world. Tillotson.

2.

To collect one's vital powers or forces; to regain health or consciousness; to recuperate.

3.

To recover strength after a decline in prices; -- said of the market, stocks, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ral"ly, n.; pl. Rallies ().

1.

The act or process of rallying (in any of the senses of that word).

2.

A political mass meeting.

[Colloq. U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Ral"ly, v. t. [F. railler. See Rail to scoff.]

To attack with raillery, either in good humor and pleasantry, or with slight contempt or satire.

Honeycomb . . . raillies me upon a country life. Addison.

Strephon had long confessed his amorous pain. Which gay Corinna rallied with disdain. Gay.

Syn. -- To banter; ridicule; satirize; deride; mock.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ral"ly (?), v. i.

To use pleasantry, or satirical merriment.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ral"ly, n.

Good-humored raillery.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.