The fifth album by the Beach Boys - in less than two years! Brian Wilson's songwriting was improving by leaps and bounds at this point, but at the same time the strain was beginning to show, both mentally - he'd soon have his first nervous breakdown - and in terms of overall quality. Shut Down vol 2 has some of Brian's very best songwriting - Don't Worry Baby and The Warmth Of The Sun are two of the best songs written by anyone in this period - but also has too many filler tracks - such as "Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson , simply a not-particularly-funny conversation between the band members, and Denny's Drums which is, as the title suggests, a drum solo, and not a particularly good one at that.
Tracklisting:
  1. Fun Fun Fun
  2. Don't Worry Baby
  3. In The Parkin' Lot
  4. "Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson
  5. The Warmth Of The Sun
  6. This Car Of Mine
  7. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
  8. Pom-Pom Play Girl
  9. Keep An Eye On Summer
  10. Shut Down, Part II
  11. Louie Louie
  12. Denny's Drums

The band members for this album are Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Mike Love and Al Jardine. There is some dispute as to whether Dave Marks participated. If he did, it was the last album he played on.
The album is currently available on Capitol Records as a twofer with Surfer Girl
Previous album - Little Deuce Coupe
Next album - All Summer Long
The reason for the title, incidentally, was that Capitol had issued a compilation album called Shut Down, featuring Beach Boys tracks , along with tracks by Gary Usher and even Robert Mitchum, in such a way that it looked like a Beach Boys album. As you can imagine, the band were not best pleased...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.