Making a simple Thai dish is quite easy. Just follow the recipe below and enjoy (vegetarian)

Simple Butternut Thai Deluxo

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
  • 5 Cloves garlic crushed with salt
  • 2 Large red chillies chopped
  • 1 Large onion finely chopped
  • 2 Red yellow or green peppers, sliced
  • 1 Lime
  • 1 Tin coconut cream
  • 3 Carrots, peeled and sliced into slivers
  • 1 Handful of long green beans
  • 1 Smallish butternut, chopped into chunks
  • 1 Small bunch of fresh coriander
  • 1 Pineapple, chopped
  • Method

    • Put the ginger, garlic, chillies, lime, coriander and coconut cream to one side.
    • Fry three quarters (put the rest with the stuff on one side) of the onions in a large saucepan with a tiny amount of oil (not olive oil, this ruins the taste) on low heat until soft.
    • Add the butternut to the mix.
    • Steam the carrots and the beans until they lose their crispness.
    • Add them to the mix.
    • (you should be kind of stirring the pot every now and then, leaving the lid on for most of the time.)
    • (now’s the time to realise that you forgot to add ginger and garlic and lime zest to the mix, prepare some more since you’ll still need the amounts in the recipe above for later!)
    • Add the rest of the vegetables, and the pineapple, to the mix and stir with great vigour.
    • Add the newly prepared ginger garlic and lime zest.
    • Put the lid on and forget about the food for a while (make sure its on a low heat and just sort of steaming around).
    • Watch TV.

    The Sauce

    Now that you have relaxed for a bit and your arms aren’t so tired, you can mentally prepare yourself to make the single most important ingredient to Thai: The sauce.

    Method

    • Put a bit of oil in a smallish saucepan. Heat it on medium.
    • Grate the zest off the lime.
    • Once the oil is hot add all the ingredients that were put aside barring the tin of coconut cream and the lime itself (add the zest).
    • Stir like crazy, making sure nothing burns and sticks to the bottom of the pot.
    • Cut the lime in half quick quick and squeeze the juice into the sauce mix. Drop the rest of the lime into the large saucepan with the vegetable and put the lid back on.
    • Stir the sauce mix like crazy.
    • Pour the contents of the can of coconut cream into the sauce saucepan and stir it all together. Turn the heat down real low and put the lid on.
    • Go watch TV for 5 minutes.
    • Go back to the stove and mix the sauce and the food together (in the large saucepan dummy).
    • Leave to simmer on very low heat for a long time, make sure the butternut has almost melted before serving
    • Serve with rice (which should have been mentioned earlier I know) and some coriander on top.
    ENJOY!

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.