Sam and I went to a fake-Mex restaurant a few days ago for dinner. While I generally abhor fake Mexican food, the place was still open, which scored it some high points on the where-are-we-going-to-eat bingo card.

So we sat there and looked at the menu. The usual bunch of fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, and guacamole, nothing was catching my eye. Then I saw the quesadillas. Seems they'd make them with steak, chicken, or spinach and sauteed mushrooms. That last one got me.

The waitress said, yes, absolutely, best thing on the menu. So I ordered me some.

Holy living Christ, they were good.

Of course I fiddled with them in my kitchen and duplicated the recipe. Here now, for your culinary pleasure, I present my version of this recipe.

Note: This recipe can easily be turned vegan by substituting soy based cheese for the dairy based.

Ingredients

One large flour tortilla

1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves

Five or six large fresh mushrooms, sliced the long way, into four or five slices each. Or chopped, if you prefer.

Two or three (depending on taste) thin slices of onion. Chop the slices up.

1/4 cup EACH shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses. Or you can use Colby Jack and just have to grate one kind.

Prep

Put butter into your skillet and sautee the onions until transparent. Add the mushrooms and spinach and sautee until the spinach is wilted looking.

Add a wee bit more butter to the skillet. When it's melted, toss your tortilla into the pan. Sprinkle half of the cheese liberally on one half of the tortilla. Add half of the spinach/mushroom/onion mixture on top of the cheese. Let cook until the cheese is beginning to look melty and the bottom of the tortilla is turning a golden color. Fold and remove from heat, cut into four even sized wedges. Repeat with another tortilla.

Serve with some diced tomato or pico de gallo, sour cream, and your favorite guacamole.

This recipe makes two heavenly quesadillas. One is plenty for all but the heartiest of appetites.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.