Guacamole


  • 1 1/2 fresh ripe avocados
  • 1/4 cup of Pico de Gallo
    (if you do not have this you can use a mixture of strained salsa and chopped onion)
  • 2 Serrano chili peppers
  • 1/2 Lime
  1. Cut the Serrano chili peppers in half, and remove the seeds and insides. Mince the remaining pepper until it is very fine.
  2. Spoon the avocado out of the skin, into a large bowl. Cut the avocado into small pieces about 3/8 inch. (Run the knife through it one direction, then turn the bowl 90 degrees and do it again)
  3. Add the Pico de Gallo and some of the Serrano pepper (to taste), mash and stir with a spoon.
  4. Squeeze the juice from the lime and mix it into the Guacamole.
  5. Serve.
I make my guacamole with:
a very ripe (mushy; brown !green skin) avocado
1 clove pressed garlic
juice of 1 lime or lemon
dash salt and pepper
1/4 tsp coriander
Don't bother mashing the avocado. Mix everything in a bowl with a Braun wand mixer. It whips the guacamole nice and smooth. Let the flavors blend for an hour before serving. It takes the edge off the coriander and garlic.
Guacamole for grown-ups
Here's another recipe of Guacamole, and it's a little less smooth-and-nice-and-fat-and-easy. It's the adult version of Guacamole, and I think it wins in the long run.

2 ripe avocados
1/2 onion
1 clove of garlic
2 peeled tomatoes
the juice from 1/2 lemon (Alt. lime, see below)
salt, black pepper

Use boiling water to get the peel from the tomatoes. Use a (food) mixer to mix onion, garlic and tomatoes well together. Add the avocados and mix gently, leaving some chunks in there. Add salt and pepper and lemon juice. Alternatively, you can use lime, which gives the whole thing a very fresh taste. If you haven't tried this, you must!

Enjoy with nachos!

Yet another variation on Guacamole as it seems everyone has their own version.

5-7 ripe avocados
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup thick sour cream
1 Roma Tomato
2 cloves garlic
lemon juice
1/2 inch of an onion
dash Kosher sea salt

Mix with the aforementioned Braun hand mixer and eat with yellow corn tortillas, as opposed to white corn tortillas.

Enjoy!

I will add my two cents here.

I love the taste of avocado and I really don't see a need to cover it's taste up with things like hot peppers, raw onions, and tomatoes. Here is a recipe for a simple and fresh tasting guacamole that lets the avocado speak for itself.

Ingredients
Method
  1. Cut the avocado lengthwise.
  2. Twist and seperate the two halves.
  3. Wedge your knife into the pit and twist it to remove it. Scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl with a spoon, careful to remove any bad spots.
  4. Mash up the avocado coarsely with a fork.
  5. Add lime juice and stir with the fork until the avocado is as smooth as you like.
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serving suggestions: a dip for tortilla chips, a spread for toast, a condiment for hamburgers

please don't put your guacamole in the blender!

TheChronicler's Super-Improved Guacamole! Now with more greenish freshness!

  • Two avacodos
  • Two stalks of cilantro, minced
  • 1/3 of a large red onion, minced
  • Two small cloves of garlic, minced
  • Two or three small, diced cherry tomatoes
  • Splash of lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Smash the avacodos. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix. Add cilantro, onion, tomatoes, and garlic. Serve.

This recipe is "cooler" than the one below and contrasts better with the capsaicin in salsa.


Guacamole is a fruit paste made from the flesh of an avocado (sans skin and pit, of course), mashed, with other additives (most commonly lemon juice, salt, pepper, tomatoes, garlic, and onions). In Spanish, it is pronounced "hwa-ka-mo-lay". In English, it is pronounces "gwa-ka-mo-lee". It is most commonly used in Mexican cooking, Tex-Mex, and some American foods (especially Californian cuisine).

Typically, guacamole is a mild green color, but can sometimes be found with a yellowish or brownish tint. Because of the nature of avacodos, guacamole will usually become brown after a couple of hours (but is usually still fine for consumption). This can be counteracted by adding lemon juice or placing the avacado pits whole into the guacamole.

Guacamole is usually made with one to three avocados, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Guacamole can come smooth or chunky, depending on the preferences of the cook as well as added ingredients. The consistency can be anywhere from watery to paste-like.

My recipe for guacamole is as follows:

  • Three avocados
  • One tablespoon salsa (more may be added, but may turn the guacamole brown)
  • One tablespoon lemon juice
  • One tomato, diced
  • One quarter of a red onion, diced
  • One teaspoon chili powder
  • One teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • One teaspoon garlic salt
  • One clove garlic, minced
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Flay and de-pit the avocados, placing the flesh in a large bowl. Add lemon juice. Smash the contents of the bowl (a potato masher works well). Add the salsa, spices, and garlic. Mix. Add fresh ingredients. Stir carefully as to not smash the tomatoes. The contents can also be mixed in a blender for smoother guacamole.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.