Spitfire was a software package for DOS, which allowed a sysop to set up a BBS one of his computers, so that the community (or local nerds) could share files (remember zmodem, ymodem, xmodem, etc?), communicate through Fidonet or sometimes the internet,and play door games such as BRE, SRE, Falcon's Eye, chess, trade wars, and many others.

Spitfire is also the most popular brand of skateboard wheels. Its design usually depicts a small smiling fireball. The wheels are sold in packs of four for around $25 dollars or can be mix and matched for about 7 dollars each. They are made of hard polyeurethane and come in a vareity of sizes. 56mm being the average and most often used size.

Spitfire is a beer produced by the Shepherd Neame brewery in Kent, England. Launched in 1990 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, the ale became a hit and so the brewers decided to continue selling it, and after a deal with the J D Wetherspoon pub chain, it is now one of the best known real ales in the country.

Spitfire benefited from a notorious World War 2-based ad campaign with slogans such as "Downed all over Kent, just like the Luftwaffe" gained the ale attention nationwide. The beer itself, a cask conditional ale, is a tasty, malty bitter with a satisfying aftertaste. It is served in many of the local pubs in Kent, and has helped me wile away many a night since I first moved to Kent, keeping the fond memories I cherish of the Caledonian 80/- brewed near my old flat in Edinburgh from overwhelming me. Spitfire is also available in bottled form from all good supermarkets and off-licenses. ABV is 4.5%.

http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/beers/facts/index.html

Spit"fire` (?), n.

A violent, irascible, or passionate person.

[Colloq.]

Grose.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.