A vaguely citrus soft drink with caffeine. Storm tastes good IMHO. Yay caffeine! Yay sugar! Yay citric acid! Yay high fructose corn syrup! Yay water! Shouts go to Storm.

Storm

The rain falls steadily down
A cold hard rain
My hair hangs in slick clumps
About my waist
The rain travels in tiny rivulets
Endlessly downward clinging to the shafts
Until, becoming heavy
The laden drops let go

I taste salt
As the streams flow past my eyes
And over my lips
The storm around me a mirror
For the one within
The only difference
The rain knows no feeling
It can only take a sip of mine

As my tears freely flow
The showers and I become one
The river travels across my body
Hungrily lapping up my sorrow
I cry out my frustration!
The storm thunders back!
The water reaches in to touch my soul
And steal my pain
Lightening ignites the sky
And it is in this moment that I know
I know
This storm too shall pass.

A Dutch comic drawn by an Englishman (Don Lawrence) (who also did episodes of the Trigian Empire, Olac The Gladiator, Fireball XL5, and young Marvelman). Don is a very talented artist. Every frame of the comic is a painting on its own. The result is stunning, I prefer it over Boris Vallejo.

The stories started out as below average Science Fiction. After Martin Lodewijk teamed up with Don, the stories got fantasy -influenced and gave the comic its unique flavour.

The astronaut Storm undertakes a Jupiter mission and gets caught into the everlasting storms of the giant red spot. He manages to escape but discovers he has ended up in a distant, barbaristic future. He searches a way to return to his own era.

Most of the earlier stories weren't that great (except for the beautiful red-haired companion of Storm, she's always great :-)).
Almost every story had another storywriter, so there wasn't much continuity. Don's great drawing talents make you forgive the poor stories.

From issue 10 on, the comic is renamed to Storm: the cronicles of Pandarve,and all stories are written by one writer (Martin Lodewijk). The stories improved dramatically, there's even a notion of character-devellopment.

Because of his journey into time, Storms body has absorbed energy. The evil Marduk, ruler of Pandarve transports Storm to his multiversum and then tries to catch him (and use Storm as his energy source). The multiversum consists of huge, living intelligent planets, and there are some weird laws of physics. Together with Storm, Redhear and Nomad, the reader discovers these strange worlds...

    Issues: I got the next list from (1) I'm not sure the titles are correct, because I haven't found an English publisher..
  1. The vanished ocean (1977 Philip Dunn)
    A rewrite from an older story (commander Grek). The publisher thought the original story was a bit shallow, but the revamped version isn't much better ...
  2. The last fighter (1978 Martin Lodewijk)
    Good story about a trap-ridden space ship
  3. The people from the desert (1978 Dick Matena)
    Great story about slavery
  4. The green hell (1979 Dick Matena)
    Good story, Storm learns more about the fate of the Earth
  5. The fight about the earth (1979 Dick Matena)
    good story, but Matena tries to cram too much in a single episode
  6. The secret of the nitron beams (1980 Dick Matena)
    same critism here...
  7. The legend of Yggdrasil (1980 Kelvin Gosnell)
    the storywriter tried to start all over again by sending Storm back to Jupiter and by middling with dinosaur DNA (Jurassic Park avant la lettre). Quite entertaining.
  8. The city of the damned (1981 Kelvin Gosnell)
    Telekinesis, time travel, computer tyranny ... no wonder this was Gosnells last script. Great drawings of the city.
  9. The slumbering death (1981 Don Lawrence)
    Don tried to write a story, but found out it's not that easy...
  10. The pirates of Pandarve
    start of the Pandarve chronicles, renewed collaboration with Martin Lodewijk, great story!
  11. The labyrinth of death (1983)
    Again a great story, excellent characters
  12. The seven of Aromater (1983)
    Good story about the fight of colors against black
  13. The killer of Eriban (1984)
    imho the best story, about an assasin, involves the bloodiest platform game I've ever seen :-)
  14. The dogs of Marduk (1985)
    another great story, about the loyalty of a strange dog...
  15. The living planet (1986)
    mmm prehaps this is the best story...:) Pandarve reveils herself to Storm in a strange way ...
  16. Vandhaal the corrupter (1987)
    great story about bravery
  17. The rotating world (1988)
    our heros get warped into a strange dimension
  18. The robots of Danderzei (1990)
    the idea of pets tuned upside down
  19. The return of the red prince (1991)
    good story, but not as great as the other pandarve stories. The duel is noteworthy.
  20. The Von Neumann machine (1993)
    Don gets his inspiration from Dante... exciting beginning of a trilogy...
  21. The Genesis Formula (1995)
    ...the story is totally ruined by the last 5 pages :///
    links:
  • http://lcg-www.uia.ac.be/~erikt/comics/ (1)
  • http://home.luna.nl/~tinus/html/Fanclub.html (Fanclub Don Lawrence)
  • http://www.pandarve.de (German fanclub)
  • http://www.donlawrence.nl

Note 1: The Genesis Formula is really a let-down, please don't read it. The last pages consist of stereograms in stead of drawings, which really dates the work. It really spoils the great series imho...
Note 2: Amazingly, I couldn't find an English publisher, if someone knows more of this msg me!!
Note 3: Because Don is getting a bit older, and each frame is a painting on its own, new stories take a lot of time. To cash in on the Storm -craze in some countries, the publisher 'Big Balloon' has created a spin-off, drawn by Dick Matena (yep one of the storywriters...). Don't expect the same quality: Matena's drawing talents are very limited. Some of the poorest comics I've ever read.

A superhero published by Marvel Comics and created by Len Wein and Dave Cockrum. Storm first appeared in Giant Sized X-Men #1

Ororo Munroe is the daughter of David Munroe, an American photo-journalist, and N'Dare Munroe, a native of Kenya. Ororo was born in Manhattan, but at an early age, the Munroes moved to Cairo, Egypt. The Munroes lived there for a few years until a bomb destroyed their home. Both of Ororo's parents were killed in the explosion, and Ororo was trapped in the wreckage for several days. This episode was key in causing the claustrophobia that would plague Munroe for many years.

Ororo was left homeless after her parent's death and wandered the streets of Cairo until she was taken in by Achmed el-Gibar. el-Gibar was a street thief of great skill and he taught the young girl all he knew of theiving. She became a master thief, wandering the streets of Cairo and robbing from the tourists. She even stole the wallet of Charles Xavier at one point, not knowing that he would one day play a key role in her life.

At twelve, Ororo left Cairo, striking out south across the desert toward central Africa. During this time, her mutant powers began to appear. Munroe possesses the ability to mentally control the weather. She eventually reached the Rift Valley, where her mother was from and used her new-found abilities to help the villagers in the area. The villagers in turn worshipped the young mutant as a goddess.

A few years later, Munroe again met up with Charles Xavier. This time, Xavier sought Munroe's help. His students, the X-Men, had disappeared and he gathered a new group of mutants together to seek them out. Munroe joined Xavier's group and was given the code name Storm. After she and the others that Xavier had gathered rescued his original students, Munroe stayed with Xavier to learn more of her powers.

For many years, Munroe has been a member of the X-Men. During that time, she has taken over as leader for the group after its original leader, Cyclops left after the seeming death of his love Jean Grey. She later maintained leadership when Cyclops returned and challenged her for it.

Storm and the X-Men spent an extended time off-world during their first battle with the Brood. During that time, Munroe lost her affinity with the Earth's natural system. Feeling that she had been rejected by the Earth and embracing her more wild nature, Storm underwent a change in demeanor. Cutting her hair into a mohawk and dressing in leather, Storm became more wild and impulsive. The mutant Forge created a weapon that would neutralize the abilities of mutants. This neutralizer was taken by the U.S. government under the direction of Henry Gyrich in an attempt to apprehend the outlaw mutant Rogue. Rogue, who had recently joined the X-Men in hopes of mastering her mutant powers, was in Mississippi at the time in the company of Munroe. When Gyrich attempted to use the weapon on Rogue, he missed and the weapon struck Storm, effectively wiping her weather abilities.

Storm continued to lead the X-Men despite her lack of powers, depending instead upon her natural abilities. She battled the mutant Callisto for the leadership of the outcast mutants, the Morlocks and won. She eventually regained her powers with the help of Forge and continues in a leadership role with the X-Men to this day.

Storm (?), n. [AS. storm; akin to D. storm, G. sturm, Icel. stormr; and perhaps to Gr. &?; assault, onset, Skr. s&?; to flow, to hasten, or perhaps to L. sternere to strew, prostrate (cf. Stratum). √166.]

1.

A violent disturbance of the atmosphere, attended by wind, rain, snow, hail, or thunder and lightning; hence, often, a heavy fall of rain, snow, or hail, whether accompanied with wind or not.

We hear this fearful tempest sing,
Yet seek no shelter to avoid the storm.
Shak.

2.

A violent agitation of human society; a civil, political, or domestic commotion; sedition, insurrection, or war; violent outbreak; clamor; tumult.

I will stir up in England some black storm.
Shak.

Her sister
Began to scold and raise up such a storm.
Shak.

3.

A heavy shower or fall, any adverse outburst of tumultuous force; violence.

A brave man struggling in the storms of fate.
Pope.

4. (Mil.)

A violent assault on a fortified place; a furious attempt of troops to enter and take a fortified place by scaling the walls, forcing the gates, or the like.

Storm is often used in the formation of self- explained compounds; as, storm-presaging, stormproof, storm-tossed, and the like.

Magnetic storm. See under Magnetic. --
Storm-and-stress period [a translation of G. sturm und drang periode], a designation given to the literary agitation and revolutionary development in Germany under the lead of Goethe and Schiller in the latter part of the 18th century. --
Storm center (Meteorol.), the center of the area covered by a storm, especially by a storm of large extent. --
Storm door (Arch.), an extra outside door to prevent the entrance of wind, cold, rain, etc.; -- usually removed in summer. --
Storm path (Meteorol.), the course over which a storm, or storm center, travels. --
Storm petrel. (Zoöl.) See Stormy petrel, under Petrel. --
Storm sail (Naut.), any one of a number of strong, heavy sails that are bent and set in stormy weather. --
Storm scud. See the Note under Cloud.

Syn. -- Tempest; violence; agitation; calamity. -- Storm, Tempest. Storm is violent agitation, a commotion of the elements by wind, etc., but not necessarily implying the fall of anything from the clouds. Hence, to call a mere fall or rain without wind a storm is a departure from the true sense of the word. A tempest is a sudden and violent storm, such as those common on the coast of Italy, where the term originated, and is usually attended by a heavy rain, with lightning and thunder.

Storms beat, and rolls the main;
O! beat those storms, and roll the seas, in vain.
Pope.

What at first was called a gust, the same
Hath now a storm's, anon a tempest's name.
Donne.

 

© Webster 1913


Storm (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stormed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Storming.] (Mil.)

To assault; to attack, and attempt to take, by scaling walls, forcing gates, breaches, or the like; as, to storm a fortified town.

 

© Webster 1913


Storm, v. i. [Cf. AS. styrman.]

1.

To raise a tempest. Spenser.

2.

To blow with violence; also, to rain, hail, snow, or the like, usually in a violent manner, or with high wind; -- used impersonally; as, it storms.

3.

To rage; to be in a violent passion; to fume.

The master storms, the lady scolds.
Swift.

 

© Webster 1913


Storm (?), n. --
Anticyclonic storm (Meteor.), a storm characterized by a central area of high atmospheric pressure, and having a system of winds blowing spirally outward in a direction contrary to that cyclonic storms. It is attended by low temperature, dry air, infrequent precipitation, and often by clear sky. Called also high- area storm, anticyclone. When attended by high winds, snow, and freezing temperatures such storms have various local names, as blizzard, wet norther, purga, buran, etc. --
Cyclonic storm. (Meteor.) A cyclone, or low-area storm. See Cyclone, above.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.