A character created by Al Franken for the NBC comedy skit show Saturday Night Live. This character is known for saying such "uplifting" things as, "I'm good enough, I'm strong enough and, doggone it, people like me" and "Denial is not a river that runs in Egypt." Stuart was portrayed to be ambiguously gay with a noticeable lisp, horrendously addicted to 12-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous and extremely prone to emotional outpourings which usually involved tears.

Stuart was featured in the movie "Stuart Saves His Family", which, like most other SNL spin-off movies, bombed in the box office. The movie was about Stuart's growing addiction with his groups and learning how to stand on his own two feet amidst an alcohol-induced family crisis in which his father shot his brother on a deer-hunting trip. It's been a while since I saw the movie, but as I recall Stuart tried to get his family to support him in having an "intervention" with his father, which went belly-up and turned out to be a disaster.

On a slightly related topic, it has been rumored that "Stuart Saves His Family" was actually the up-swing ending of a trilogy. This rumor states that Al Franken, who wrote the movie, also penned "Clean and Sober" (starring Michael Keaton) and "When a Man Loves a Woman" (starring Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia). Both movies centered on the lives of people who were trying to overcome a serious addiction. I don't know if this rumor is true, or even if it sits all that well with me, but I do know that Al Franken is a major supporter of recovery programs.


After doing some minor research on the IMDB (Internet Movie Database- www.imdb.com) I have discovered that Mr. Franken did not have anything to do with the movie "Clean and Sober" after all. That said, he did write "When a Man Loves a Woman", which is a surprisingly unfunny story and very true-to-life.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.