tits on a keyboard = T = (TM)

TLA /T-L-A/ n.

[Three-Letter Acronym] 1. Self-describing abbreviation for a species with which computing terminology is infested. 2. Any confusing acronym. Examples include MCA, FTP, SNA, CPU, MMU, SCCS, DMU, FPU, NNTP, TLA. People who like this looser usage argue that not all TLAs have three letters, just as not all four-letter words have four letters. One also hears of "ETLA" (Extended Three-Letter Acronym, pronounced /ee tee el ay/) being used to describe four-letter acronyms. The term "SFLA" (Stupid Four-Letter Acronym) has also been reported. See also YABA.

The self-effacing phrase "TDM TLA" (Too Damn Many...) is often used to bemoan the plethora of TLAs in use. In 1989, a random of the journalistic persuasion asked hacker Paul Boutin, "What do you think will be the biggest problem in computing in the 90s?" Paul's straight-faced response: "There are only 17,000 three-letter acronyms." (To be exact, there are 263 = 17,576.) There is probably some karmic justice in the fact that Paul Boutin subsequently became a journalist.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk.

The Theater of Living Arts on South Street in beautiful downtown Philadelphia is almost always referred to as simply "TLA." Usually this is used as a musical venue, although I hear they used to show movies. It is a rather small place that reminds me, in terms of size, bands, and clientelle, the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. and the Club Congress in Tucson, Arizona. These clubs are large enough to host known bands, but small enough to still feel intimate.

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following bands that have played here recently: Cibo Matto, Blonde Redhead, Placebo, Pork Tornado, The Roots, David Byrne, Crash Test Dummies, Pharcyde.

The Theater of Living Arts is owned by the Electric Company, which is another much larger venue also in Philadelphia, and does not actually generate electricity. The Electric Company hosts much more popular bands, and feels much more like an arena than a club.

Around the corner from TLA there is also TLA Video, an affiliated video rental outlet, which is the only local competition to the corporate monolith Blockbuster, also on South Street.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.