Another of the Beach Boys albums that does exactly what it says on the tin, being a recording of (several) Beach Boys concerts.
This was the point when the band, supplemented by live members Ed Carter, Billy Hinsche, Mike Kowalski and others, and with Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar still in the band, were at their live peak, mixing new material (although strangely no Dennis Wilson songs) with the best of the oldies, with a tougher, bluesier sound than on the original records, and some excellent musicianship.
Brian Wilson is, unfortunately, not present, but Al Jardine covers most of his parts more than adequately. Carl Wilson and Blondie Chaplin are in excellent voice throughout, and Mike Love barely appears. The best introduction possible to the 70s band, and a surprise gold record at their lowest commercial point.
Tracklist:
  1. Sail On Sailor
  2. Sloop John B
  3. Trader
  4. You Still Believe In Me
  5. California Girls
  6. Darlin'
  7. Marcella
  8. Caroline, No
  9. Leaving this Town
  10. Heroes & Villains
  11. Funky Pretty
  12. Let The Wind Blow
  13. Help Me Rhonda
  14. Surfer Girl
  15. Wouldn't It Be Nice
  16. We Got Love
  17. Don't Worry Baby
  18. Surfin' USA
  19. Good Vibrations
  20. Fun Fun Fun

The line-up for this album is Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar.
The album is currently available on Capitol Records
Previous album - Holland
Next album - 15 Big Ones

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.