Hey, wait a minute. You don't have to go all the way over to The Chewbacca Defense Part I anymore. You see, that was an artifact of E1 (before we had nigh-unlimited writeups). So, here it is: I give you The Chewbacca Defense in all its glory (now complete with bi-directional soft-linking. Woo hoo!):


Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury, Chef's attorney would certainly want you to believe his client wrote Stinky Britches ten years ago, and they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt pity myself. But ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, (pulls down picture of Chewbacca) this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it. That does not make sense...Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor with a bunch of two-foot-tall Ewoks. That does not make sense. But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case?...Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case...It does not make sense. Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen I am not making any sense. None of this makes sense. And so you have to remember when you're in that jury room deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No. Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury, it does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor you must acquit.

An unorthodox strategy in chess consisting of threats of violence after the game.

From Star Wars, episode IV ("A New Hope"):

"It's not wise to upset a Wookiee."
"But sir, nobody worries about upsetting a droid!"
"That's 'cause a droid don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees have been known to do that."
"Artoo, I suggest a new strategy. Let the Wookiee win."

Needless to say, the Chewbacca defense is barred under international chess rules.

Also used as a derogatory term for any argument in which the proponent of an issue is attempting to win the debate via distraction or bizarre changing of subject. Usually the change of subject is followed by attempts to draw parallels between the original topic and the new one.

In the following example, Mr. A. uses a Chewbacca Defense (note the indefinite article):

A: I believe we should have a national health care system!
B: But what about the great public burden?
A: It's part of the Separation of Church and State!
B: What? That doesn't make sense at all. That's a Chewbacca Defense!

This method of rhetoric is often employed by politicians, lawyers, and others who are forced to work from untenable positions.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.