Horror movie, released in 1990. Directed and written by William Peter Blatty, based on his novel "Legion". Starred George C. Scott as Lt. Kinderman, Ed Flanders as Father Dyer, Brad Dourif as the Gemini Killer, and an actor I dare not identify for fear of spoiling the surprise as Patient X. Also featured bizarre cameos by C. Everett Koop, Larry King, Fabio, Samuel L. Jackson, John Thompson (the basketball coach of the Georgetown Hoyas), and Patrick Ewing.

In some ways, this is a tremendous disappointment -- it's nowhere near as frightening as the original "Exorcist", and the studio obviously worked hard to try to make it appeal more to the hardcore gorehounds. Nevertheless, I'd still recommend it because it has a lot of delicious, creepy chills. Particularly notable: the surprised crucifix; the ghoulishly grinning statue; the lengthy static shot in the hospital corridor (can't say more, but the first time I saw it, I had to rewind the tape to make sure it had really happened), and Fabio as an angel (/me shivers).

George C. Scott and Brad Dourif both overact quite a bit, but really, isn't that when they do their best work? Far more subtle is the guy who plays Patient X -- surely one of the last people I expected to see in this film. The plot is based around the real-world exploits of the infamous Zodiac Killer, with various elements from the original "Exorcist" mixed in for good measure. Wisely, the film pretends that "Exorcist II" never existed.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.