A Canadian television series that first aired in 1979 and ran until 1985. The show was about a stray German Shepherd named "London", though his name in the show is apparently "Hobo" - they generally just address him as "that dog", or something along those lines. There was also a movie by the same title that was released in 1958, which was later adapted to a black and white series. That black and white series was later adapted to the colour version that still airs today. The writer and director credits for the 1979-1985 series seem poorly defined in my minimal research - it seems there were many hands in the mix, so to speak. This is actually evident when watching the episodes, with a wide variance of quality with regard to story and filming.

The entire show is based around a dog that just keeps travelling, always wandering around helping various confused little human life. He never elects to stay with the person he helps. I always found it a little sad, but upon completing his humanitarian mission, the humble dog moves on to the next needy soul.

I remember watching it nearly daily for the longest time, for some reason.. it's really kind of terrible all in all. One of those shows that lacks a lot of excitement but is heavy on morals. (You know, those things that they rarely include in television programming these days.) Not that the concept is that bad, it's kind of uplifting.. either way, it's not the greatest show ever but it used to seem excellent to me when I was younger.

The theme song..
    "There's a voice that keeps on calling me
    Down the road, that's where I'll always be
    Oh, every stop I make, I make a new friend
    Can't stay for long, just turn around, and I'm gone again.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down
    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep movin' on.
    So, if you want to join me for awhile,
    just grab your hat, and we'll travel light. That's hobo style.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down -
    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep movin' on.
    Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home."
There are several fan sites still available online, as well as episode guides. As of 2009 this show is still airing on several Canadian networks at seemingly random times. I still catch it every now and then.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.