“I don’t know why you even invited me here,” said Violet.

Didn’t want you to miss out,” said Cormac. “That’s all.”

“Hush,” said Sparrow. “I have to make a speech.”

This evening, the colonnades of the Dueling Club Courtyard had filled nearly to the point of being a fire-safety hazard. Yet no student had dared venture out beyond the columns, until Sparrow had promised to protect the audience. That was enough for people to start filling the space close to the bridge, so that Sparrow could actually get through the crowd and out to the stage.

She didn’t know whether Jocasta or Jill had blabbed, but word had certainly spread fast in the space of two hours. Good heavens, it felt as though half the school was in attendance. Along with half the teachers. Including Rubeus Hagrid. And Hermetray Budge. And Headmistress Minerva McGonagall. And Madame Pomfrey.

Sparrow considered the possibility that, when she had informed her Headmistress of the event, a portrait had been hiding in its frame instead of following orders to vacate, and the word had spread from there.

Miranda stood in the far distance at the bridge, next to Hagrid. Had she blabbed? No, of all the people in the school Miranda was the least likely to gossip. She couldn’t exactly do it from inside a greenhouse.

Sparrow caught a glimpse of a high green pointy hat peeking over a rampart far above. Alright, so the information had spread far enough to reach Blaise. Which meant everyone in the castle was going to hear about how this all played out. Including what Sparrow said.

For a moment, she was frozen in terror. But then she realized – this was also her opportunity to perform. And to save someone else from harm.

She stepped out onto the dueling stage, pointed her wand at her throat and whispered, “Sonoroninus.” Then she turned to her audience.

“Friends!” she said, in a voice that none could miss. “Fellow students, teachers and all. You have come to see the thrill of battle, and some of you have come to be certain that none come to harm. For you have heard that tonight will be a match to remember, between two of the school’s foremost duelists. You have heard of a battle for glory, between Jillian Patil and Jocasta Carrow.”

The audience cheered and whistled.

“And yet – I will tell you the truth of this battle, as I understand it. As I have your attention now, I will invite you to consider love. For I have been told that you all hold it in high regard.”

The audience fell silent.

“To begin with, I offer an apology to Percival Bulstrode, for my childish slander against him. I will not seek to explain my reasons for sullying his reputation, because I do not believe they would excuse me, nor do I seek an excuse. All I wish to tell you is that, if any of you still believe he was unfaithful to his true love, you are mistaken, and I am the source of that mistake.”

Now the crowd started to murmur. And the murmurs did not sound happy.

“I have hoped that he has not been injured by anyone wielding righteous fury. How much of a fool I have been, for failing to consider that possibility, for failing to ask after his fate, knowing even in the moment that I had done him evil! Could I then say truthfully that I love him?”

Now the audience began to murmur excitedly.

“Could I say I love anyone? Could I say I love you all? It would be an assertion I had failed to support.”

Now the murmurs sounded confused.

“You all know me as the mad girl, the dent-head, Miss Jones of the Sky-High Pie. I can tell you that the things I have proposed, I have done out of love for all people. For all of you, some of whom I know, many of whom I do not know. I have feared for your futures, stifled by secrecy, stuffed within hidden alleys, cut off from your families in remote castles – if we grow up to be loving people out of such places it is because we love each other, and not because our lives are easy. How tempting for me to think a life lived openly would thus be joyous!

“And yet, if I assume such, if I inform none, if I try to change the world without so much as a by-your-leave, then all could perish. I could not say with any truth that I loved the people of the world, and then turn around and break all the walls down before knowing what the consensus might be.

“Nor, on the scale of this school, could I say I loved you all and remain as haughty as I have been. I confess that I looked down upon you all for your conduct, and so interposed myself in all conflicts, so that a protective habit became condescending. If you love each other then my shield need not be raised so often. I do not think you ever needed my shield as much as I gave it to you.

“Nor, on a personal level, could I say I loved you all while doing awful things to individual people, as I did to young Master Bulstrode, as I did to my dear Jocasta Carrow, as I did to my dear Cormac McKinnon, as I did to my dear Jillian Patil. If I can find a way to atone for my sins against my friends perhaps I can say in all truth that I love them.

“And that is one sort of love, the kind that is for all, like the flames of hearth fire in a happy home. Yet there is another, one I have felt myself, one you are all, perhaps, more experienced in considering. I speak to you of love tonight because I believe many of you are here to see such a thing play out here on the dueling stage.

“Call this Romance, call this Passion, call this what you will. To me it is the heat of a hearth fire when it catches new logs, and springs up bright, merry, roaring in joy. Quite a sight to behold, and dangerous to stand too close. Yes, I have been there. I am still there. But tonight is not my battle, nor do those who own this battle compete for my hand – oh no! That would make this more easy. No, they compete for each other, against each other.”

Again the murmurs were confused.

“For lately love has begun to spring up between them. Or can I say, it has smoldered for some time? Only now does it begin to burn bright. And yet – they each come to the relationship with questions un-answered, issues not yet reconciled. And each of them is just a little too nervous about each other to reconcile those issues…save when they stand here, the dueling stage, the heart of their power.”

Students who had been pestering each other, yawning in boredom, fiddling with their nails, laughing at jokes, now stood in rapt attention.

“They decided to have out their issues here, on the field of battle. But this is no mere grudge match! Oh no! For each of them has wagered upon this duel some things that are dear to them.”

From the crowd arose a low rumble of laughter. Some people were pointing to Sparrow.

“No, they did not wager me. That would be quite romantic, would it not?"

The crowd was full of laughter.

"But they need not compete for my hand. They already have my hands."

Now the crowd was full of laughter and wolf whistles.

"As I say, they did not wager me. No, they have wagered their future courses of action. Whoever is the victor shall gain one price from the other. Jillian! Will you please come to the stage.”

Jill stepped out, striding tall and proud. Many in the crowd clapped and whistled for her.

“Jillian the Roaring Dragon! Fearsome is her flame and many of you have quavered before it. If she is victorious, she asks that Jocasta no longer play pranks upon the people of the school.”

From the crowd arose a gasp.

“Jocasta! Will you please come to the stage.”

Jocasta pranced her way out to Sparrow, grinning like a madman, as many in the crowd cheered for her.

“Jocasta of the Swift Wings! The clever duck, the darting fox, the floating butterfly, the stinging bee! Many of you have felt her sting! If she is victorious, she asks that Jill no longer attend the Dueling Club.”

Now the entire crowd gasped.

“For each has injured others with such careless actions! By fire hurled with abandon, by frame-ups through impersonation! And yet, if either would cease such conduct, they would feel they had lost parts of themselves, and they would return to such behavior once more. So they have wagered these parts of themselves, in order that a loss on the field of battle will better bind them to the promise, for the honor of the battlefield is central to their souls. Now, will the members of the dueling club please make themselves known!”

Thirty students stepped out from between the columns. They were greeted with much applause, though none of it came from the teachers.

“The senior members of the club will serve as referees, and resolve any disputes that may arise. I do not expect such reconciliation to be necessary, but please do not obstruct their views of the battle, lest the validity of this fight be disputed. We begin in a moment.”

The members of the dueling club stepped backward, standing between the columns instead of hanging back within the colonnade. Sparrow pointed her wand at her throat and whispered, “Quietus.”

Then she turned to Jocasta, and put a hand on her shoulder. “Please,” she said. “Give this fight your all. If you have any thought of throwing the match, let it pass away.”

Jocasta snorted. “Kinda sounds like you’re impugning my honor.”

Sparrow turned to Jill.

“You have nothing to fear from me either,” said Jill. “And I am glad that you want this fight to be completely real. I was a little worried you had turned a private conflict into a Professional Wrestling match with all your theatrics.”

“I fear the audience has done so already,” said Sparrow. “They expected a grand narrative, I gave them one. Was any part of it false?”

“No part,” said Jocasta. “Just a little overdone.”

“You will both give your all, then?”

“I will do my best,” said Jill. “Pray you never see my all.”

“I’m just praying she keeps that shield up,” said Jocasta.

Sparrow left the stage, and took her place between the columns. She raised her wand and shouted, “PROTEGO!

What sprang up within the courtyard was not quite like any shield Sparrow had ever done. It was not a plane, nor a dome, but a cylinder, whose top was either lost in the clouds or not there at all. It was far more translucent than usual, thereby affording a better view to all spectators. It was an oval cylinder, wide enough to touch both rows of columns, long enough to reach from the audience at the bridge to the stone wall behind the stage.

It was also the first shield in two years that gave Sparrow any sense of requiring effort to sustain.

Uh oh.

Jill and Jocasta were holding their wands pointed to the ground and bowing to each other. Well, no calling things off now. The fun was about to begin and so was hers.

The fun began with an explosion.

That was the easiest way to describe it – that in the space of a short breath the column was filled from end to end with a swirl of fire, as high as three windows above the courtyard. The shock of the impact sent a shiver down Sparrow’s arm and into her spine, nearly causing her to lose control of the shield. It was by slim chance that she managed to keep her grip on her wand.

In that same moment, the audience shrank back, wondering if they themselves had got in over their heads. But they could see the fire splash against the shield, and terrified cries gave way to excited ones, as the fireball itself died down.

And when it did, Sparrow had a moment of dread, for there stood Jill, and Jocasta was nowhere to be found.

Until she appeared out of thin air behind Jill and fired off a stunning spell. Ah, that was Jocasta. Never where you expected. The audience cheered her reappearance, and people started talking about how she appeared to have mastered apparition.

Jill dodged the stunning spell by a hair’s breadth and then fired off her own. A wild miss, or so it seemed, until it ricocheted against the shield and straight at Jocasta’s back. But she had already vanished, and appeared behind Jill to try the same trick again.

Again Jill dodged the stunner. And again. And again. Each time by a fraction of a second. Sparrow began to think she would lose soon. The girl looked like she was breathing heavily already. She must have used up too much energy in her opening gambit. And yet Jocasta was also breathing heavily. She was not apparating around the field – that was impossible. She was transfiguring herself, again and again. Too much. It had to be more work than it looked like, especially to change so much mass in an instant. So both of the girls had tried new gambits that they couldn’t handle for too long, and were forced to keep trying them because they were evenly matched.

And in the meantime, Sparrow was steadily losing strength from the way she had overestimated her own abilities. She hoped one of the combatants would fall soon.

Yet neither would surrender so easily. A new gambit began, with Jill firing off stunners at random directions every second, filling the whole courtyard with ricochets of red light. Perhaps she hoped to stun Jocasta a moment before she herself was stunned, and leave the final decision to the referees after all.

And yet – still she had enough strength left to toss herself down on the ground and dodge the cage of red beams. And Jocasta had enough left in her to continue transfiguring. Sparrow had to hope that nobody else in the audience would put two and two together, and realize Jocasta was an Animagus. She also had to endure a slight increase in the effort that the shield took to maintain, as it suffered the impacts of dozens of spells at once.

At the end of that attack, there stood Jocasta once more, breathing heavily, enough to make it obvious from a distance. And she was breathing more heavily than Jill, whose time on the ground had allowed her to rest a moment, to regain a slight bit of wind.

Perhaps that was Jill’s real gambit, then. A game of attrition. Jocasta had always won against Jill by winning the game of attrition, because she was deft enough with her dodging and her shields to put as little effort as she needed to in the act of weaving through a hail of fire. And Jill always preferred the use of straightforward overwhelming force, instead of deceit, so she was never able to wear down her opponent fast enough before Jocasta saw an opening.

But this time, she had thrown Jocasta off-balance with an overwhelming force from all directions at once, forcing the girl to rely on a more costly strategy from the outset, keeping her on her toes so she would keep clinging to that method, thereby wearing the girl down in minutes instead of hours.

But that depended on keeping her on her toes, which meant a constant barrage. If she paused, it gave Jocasta a second to think.

And Jill let that second pass. So Jocasta was able to take the initiative. She fired a stunner at Jill, who rolled out of the way just in time. Then another, and another. Now Jill was being led into the more costly strategy, unable to rise and suffering the blows of the stone itself as she kept out of the way. Now Jocasta was breathing more easily where Jill was losing ground.

That was, until Jill did not dodge.

Jocasta was forced to dodge this time, for Jill had managed to cast a shield – no larger than a hand, yet placed in just the right spot, at just the right angle. Clearly Jocasta wasn’t expecting it. Nobody was. Jillian Patil, the Roaring Dragon of the Mountain, did not cast defensive spells. And yet there it was.

So, Jocasta was forced to dodge by transfiguring again. Which was precisely the moment Jill had been waiting for.

VENTUS!”

It was not as if a breath stirred outside the shield. But everyone on the outside could see the swirling dust and straw of the courtyard, and they could hear the roar of the wind. They could see it nearly pick up Jill from her supine position. Whatever must have been happening to the poor fly within? Perhaps it was getting dizzy. Whatever the case it was much too dangerous for a fly, so Jocasta appeared out of the air in the next moment.

Which is to say, she appeared in the air. She was hardly weighty enough to avoid being lifted by it. And oh my yes, she did look dizzy.

But Jill was not looking at Jocasta, for she remained facedown, wand up, perhaps believing that would be enough for now. So Jocasta had enough time to recover from the dizziness that she could simply float around in the tornado, firing spells from every direction without having to waste energy on movement.

Of course by that point Jill had realized what was going on and was deflecting everything. My, she had improved her defensive technique quite a bit from the beginning point of having none. And in such a short time.

Sparrow was desperate for one of them to end the fight now. She was beginning to shiver all over with the effort of maintaining her shield. She nearly dropped her wand before Cormac came up by her side and helped her keep her arm steady. And then Violet stood next to her on the other side and put a hand on her shoulder. At that she began to get her second wind.

And at the same time, the whirlwind continued. Why? What was the point, if it was giving Jocasta the advantage? Why would Jill bother to maintain – oh.

Jill had finally learned to anticipate where Jocasta would be. She had dodged one last spell, grabbed the girl by the hand, dragged her close and kissed her hard on the mouth.

Humph. Without even asking. Well, Jocasta clearly didn’t seem to mind. Nor did Sparrow, who let the shield fall at last. Nor did the crowd seem to mind, judging by the whistles.

“FOUL!” yelled one of the referees.

Oh come on now.

The crowd was now grumbling. Some of them were insulting the referee. Neither Jocasta nor Jill looked happy to be hearing this either.

“Illegal use of non-spell effects for dueling purposes,” said the referee, a 7th-year Slytherin by the name of Felonius Fimblewinter.

“Seriously?” said Jill.

“Its in the rules,” said Jocasta. “Section 9a, as I recall?” She let go of Jill and strode over to the referee. “But my dear Mister Fimblewinter, that kiss did not break the rule as it is written, surely? A kiss is hardly combative. I would say this match has ended in a draw.”

Felonius went to consult with the other referees. They discussed the matter for a few seconds.

One of them giggled.

“My dear Miss Carrow,” said Felonius. “Tell me truly now. Was it a French kiss?”

“Why, um. Yes.”

“Then the decision of the referees is that your tongues were battling for dominance, and that it therefore counts as combative. So the fight must begin again.”

A peal of laughter went up from the audience. Jocasta turned beet red. Jill’s face was flushed.

Beside Sparrow, Cormac was looking like he was trying to hold in his own laughter, and suffering for it. Sparrow nudged him. That set him off. Meanwhile, Violet had a much more solid poker face. But she also had a bare hint of a smile.

Sparrow wasn’t sure whether to feel like laughing or crying, because it meant she had to raise the damn shield again. She slumped onto Violet’s shoulder and said, “Cormac, can you please go deliver a message to those two?”

So the crowd was forced to endure yet another timeout while Cormac spoke to the combatants. Everyone was getting impatient now. Why wasn’t the shield up? And why was Jill walking towards the bridge? And why was Jocasta walking towards the wall? Were they breaking up or something? Already? No way. And wait a second, why were Jill's eyes glowing red? And why were Jocasta's eyes glowing green? Were they both going to explode? Where the hell was the shield? Alright so the two girls were facing each other at a real long distance, maybe they were going to snipe each other with stunners –

In the next instant two streaks of light, one red and one green, had crossed paths in the precise midpoint of the courtyard. Jocasta now stood where Jill had started, facing the bridge. Jill now stood where Jocasta had started, facing the wall.

For a moment, no one spoke. Jill was doubled over as if in pain.

But then she rose.

And held two wands aloft.

If anyone in the castle was not attending the duel that evening, they may have been close enough to watch the initial proceedings. Or they may have been father away, and wondered where those flashes of light and gouts of fire were coming from. But it would have taken quite a bit of distance from the dueling Courtyard for one to avoid hearing the crowd, as it roared for Jill’s victory. And even those too far to hear a faint hint of the noise might have noticed a slight tremor in the floor.

As for what was occurring in the courtyard, Jocasta had staggered through the crowd and then fallen to her knees before Miranda, just for the sake of dramatic effect. Jill was still standing, barely, because she wanted to keep up appearances, but she did not have to put in much effort because there was a crowd of people supporting her. Cormac was in the crowd, hollering with everyone else. Violet had remained by Sparrow’s side, in case the girl started to vomit blood.

And Sparrow decided that it was a perfect time to fall asleep.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.