The warrior is the man who breaks the rules of the game he is forced to play.

Throughout life, we are forced to play different roles. The role of a child, the role of a teenager, the role of a soldier, the role of a student. The role of a womanizer, or the role of a loyal husband. Or, the role of a disloyal husband. The role of a doctor or the role of a lawyer. The role of a millionaire or that of a bum. The role of an old man, and if you’re especially lucky, the role of a grandfather. Finally, all roles come to an end when the great scene of death is played.

A role is always something enforced upon us by others. By education or by the society, by the inert dynamics of action and reaction. The role is the rules of the game we must play. And the human society is a collection of such games, one within the other, a gigantic kaleidoscope.

Therefore the warrior cannot put up with his role and must forsake it. By doing so, he breaks himself from the bonds of society and therefore he’s bound to become a loner. To swim against the stream, a true tragic hero in a Greek play.

However, the warrior does not only destroy rules, he also creates them, and bounds himself with chains of his own making: the chains of moral. Like in Nietzsche’s metamorphoses, the lion is bound to become the child. The true warrior is not the currier of destruction: he is the currier of evolution.

To evolve the rules of the game, the warrior must discover their origin. He must contemplate the greater picture of which these rules are only a particular case, and generalize after translating to the language of that greater picture. Like in mathematics, where the most useful concepts are obtained not by blind generalization but by seeking a deeper meaning, the warrior creates new rules which might be based on the old but which are more pure and elegant.

But by changing the rules of the game he is playing, the warrior calls a challenge upon the system which gave birth to these rules. For if this system enforces the game on the individual, it must now either evict the individual or transform itself. The warrior may then become not a mere loner but the champion of a revolution, a person leading the change in society. This is his struggle that he must fight, guided only by the aesthetical perception he could train in himself during his journeys.

May an individual truly transform society? Or does society only conforms to the laws of its own inner dynamics, the warrior, now hero, only a tool at the hands of inert forces driving the change? The way of the warrior itself thus becomes only another role. The warrior must always remember that by breaking the boundaries he is only reaching the domain of new, wider boundaries. And that those new boundaries, if not eventually broken, mean captivity and the loss of all hope. Hence every understanding is, in some domain, a misunderstanding, and so is even this understanding itself, and so on, ad infinitum. Hence the eternal struggle between truth and falsehood, between good and evil, new evil always taking the shape of old good to fool those who have learnt the old lesson. Therefore a new lesson is always to be learnt. A perfect model for this is the countable ordinals in mathematical set theory.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.