The Three Rivers Stadium was the home field for both the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1970 to 2000. Like pretty much anything else near Pittsburgh, PA called "Three Rivers", it gets its name from the intersection of the Allegheny River and the Monongahela River; they join and form the Ohio River. The confluence of the rivers inspired former Allegheny County Recorder of Deeds Bernard Flynn to submit the name to a local newspaper in May 1968.

By the late 1950s, the former Steelers' home, Forbes Field, was falling apart, and from 1964 to 1969, the Steelers played at the University of Pittsburgh's Pitt Field while legal issues plagued the construction of a new stadium. Three Rivers was built as a replacement for Forbes Field by Deeter Ritchy Sipple, Michael Baker, Jr. and Osborn Engineering at a cost of $55 million. Construction began on April 25, 1968 and the stadium opened on July 16, 1970. It seated 59,000 yellow-towel-waving Steelers fans and 47,971 Pirates fans (not at the same time). It was always an artificial turf stadium, replacing its original coat of Tartanturf with the more well-known Astroturf in 1983.

Baseball and football history were made in Three Rivers Stadium. In 1971, it was home to the first no-hitter ever pitched against the Pirates as well as the first World Series game to be played at night. In 1976, John Candelaria pitched the Pirates' first ever no-hitter in Pittsburgh. In 1972, Franco Harris made the Immaculate Reception (Terry Bradshaw threw the pass) giving the Steelers their first ever playoff win.

On February 11, 2001, it was demolished by Controlled Demolitions, Inc. of Baltimore and has since been replaced by Heinz Field for the Steelers and PNC Park for the Pirates.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.