This is one of the most unfortunate thing that a person can be. People in High School have no way of getting out. It is a prison. You can take the GED but of course that isn't the same as a High School Diploma. I wish there was a way to get out of High School early with a diploma from that High School. This is unfortunate because it is much harder to get into a college or get a good job without a diploma from your High School. It is also one of the things that geeks must go through and put up with. The ignorant are on both sides, the students, and the administration and teachers. If you answered a question to a teacher and actually showed intelligence they will deny that thought. Examples: A teacher once asked what was the opposite of zero, I raised my hand and said everything. He of course said "Sorry, that is the Wrong Answer". If zero is nothing, then isn't the opposite of zero everything?

Many times they inflict, homework that is repetitious and easy. I like a challenge something that is one question but a challenge to my mind. Next year is my Senior Year, after dealing with my mental illnesses, and actually becoming more social, I have decided to make next year the best that I can. As a geek, nerd, hacker, I have had to put up with jocks, cliques, potheads, snobs, and other people that should have more mental problems then myself. These people made me feel worthless.

Now in dedication to the cause here is a link.

Note #1:Sat Apr 29 2000 at 21:14:52 UTC
It is the end of the year for school only a 2-3 weeks left. I do not know if these teachers are crazy or what, but many have overloaded the student body with homework/projects/literature for us to finish. The students have been bombarded with tests and a quiz or two. They also mandated finals last year. Finals are worth one fifth of our final grade. I think that the teachers should have been concentrating on finals the last 2-3 weeks and making sure we knew what we were doing instead of giving us more work.

Update: September 1, 2001 I finally got my GED and was going to go to community college, but I decided to take a year off and get myself together. At the moment I am a cook at Primanti Brothers, and I am sure I will pick up a part time job elsewhere, so I can gain experience in the job world. By the way, I am one of those workaholic types, at least I have been told I am and I agree. I also don't get tired and complain about it like my friends usually do, I guess I am a man of a different caliber
Although this is completely possible from an academic point of view, this is a somewhat narrow viewpoint to take. Academia isn't the only aspect of high school. One of the most important aspects of compulsory schooling is social development. Another is the ability to successfully deal with authority figures. Without these, you can be as smart as you like and still get nowhere. Although I don't agree with the importance of popularity, I still understand it by remembering this one point:

The world is ruled by people

I left high school when I was fifteen, with a diploma received after successful completion of my freshman year in college (a state law in PA). I had taken the whole curriculum in mathematics, science, english, and history as well as additional courses taken at Carnegie Mellon University. Got my 1580. I was the biggest nerd in school-- but I wasn't too much of a tool so it didn't matter so much.

So I moved out of my home in Pittsburgh at fifteen to go to Simon's Rock College of Bard in Massachusetts, a school designed specifically for younger college students, on a full academic scholarship.

Penn State and CMU also wanted me straight out of sophomore year. In fact, my older sister started CMU's Electrical and Computer Engineering program full time at 13. She went to Pittsburgh public schools just like SB5.

Don't just whine on everything2 about being too smart for high school. Do something about it. Go to college. Take courses. Get off your ass. Prove it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.