display | more...

Tres"tle (?), n. [OF. trestel, tresteay, F. tr'eteau; probably from L. transtillum a little crossbeam, dim. of transtrum a crossbeam. Cf. Transom.] [Written also tressel.]


A movable frame or support for anything, as scaffolding, consisting of three or four legs secured to a top piece, and forming a sort of stool or horse, used by carpenters, masons, and other workmen; also, a kind of framework of strong posts or piles, and crossbeams, for supporting a bridge, the track of a railway, or the like.


The frame of a table.

Trestle board, a board used by architects, draughtsmen, and the like, for drawing designs upon; -- so called because commonly supported by trestles. -- Trestle bridge. See under Bridge, n.


© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.