Vermont "Cities" of note:
Burlington: Home of the University of Vermont, and probably the only place to go if you want any sort of night life that doesn't involve country music.
Montpelier: This is more of a town. It's so small, it wouldn't even register on most maps if it wasn't also the capital of the state. On the other hand, it does have a few quaint shops, and is very liberal.
Barre: Montpelier's evil twin. Barre is inhabited partly by rednecks, and partly by nesting yuppies. Not worth visiting unless you enjoy country music.
Stowe: A yuppie's picture of what Vermont should be. Avoid the snapshot mountain town with expensive dining, but ski/snowboard here if you're into that sort of thing.
Rutland, Randolph, Springfield, etc: Generally considered too far south and too flat to really be part of Vermont. They try to be Stowe, but the mountains aren't nearly as good.
As a resident of New Hampshire, living just a spit away from the old Green Mountain State (assuming I have the salivary power to launch one across the Connecticut River), I can assure you that the good people of the Granite State regard Vermonters as something of a freakish lot, what with their tendency to elect Socialists to Congress and all. 1998's Vermont Senatorial challenger Fred Tuttle, grizzled, folksy star of the indie film "The Man With a Plan" was a refreshing change to this. There is also the annual reggae festival, but since I am partial to the Jamaican sound, I perhaps should not mention it.

I will point out that Vermont hosts the World's Fair every September in Tunbridge. Really. It's a major hoot, and I recommend it highly, not the least for its demolition derby, livestock contests, and displays of the most modern farming equipment on the market. I hear it was better back in the old days when they featured cheap, carnival-like girlie shows.

One of the very few US states that has been an independent country (the others being Hawaii, Texas, and California).

With the outbreak of the Revolutionary War it declared its independence in January 1777 as the state of New Connecticut, but refused to join the Union. Its territory had long been disputed by both New Hampshire and New York. It adopted the name Vermont in July 1777.

As New Connecticut it was headed by Joseph Bowker, chairman of the "General Convention of Delegates". Then as Vermont its governors were Thomas Chittenden 1777-1789 and 1790-1791, and Moses Robinson 1789-1790. It became the fourteenth member of the USA in 1791. Chittenden then remained governor until his death in 1797. He was styled President of the Council of Safety until March 1778.

http://rulers.org/usstat7.html


Also, a suburb of Melbourne. It is a fair distance out in the eastern suburbs, around the junction of Canterbury Road with (from the north) Mitcham Road and (off to the south-east) Boronia Road. Neighbouring suburbs include Mitcham to the north, Heatherdale to the east, Nunawading to the west, and Wantirna to the south-east. To the south, Vermont South may be considered a separate, neighbouring suburb. Its postcode is 3133.

There are no great landmarks in Vermont, but it is, as far as any Melbourne suburb can be, peaceful and in small parts attractive. The best back street is Glenburnie Road, one street east of Mitcham Road. This is twisting and full of trees, and rings to the sound of bellbirds, especially in the little reserve with a dam between it and Grey Street.

Near the entrance on Canterbury Road, from which also you get an impressive view of the Dandenongs, is an old dairy. This and a fuel and feed store on the other side of the village centre are legacies from the past. Between Mitcham Road and Rooks Road is the large brickworks and tile kiln, Wunderlich, who used to advertise their wares with large tile-covered boards on the roadside. Surprisingly, some of the fields they own there have still not been gobbled up by developers.

The rest of is, of course, just pizza parlours and video shops like everywhere else in the world. Towards the City is Brentford Square shopping centre, the nearest large and convenient place, although there are basic shops also in the village itself. Further on you get to the even larger Forest Hill. Vermont South is also a large shopping centre.

On the way to Brentford Square you pass the football ground: Vermont play in purple with a gold V. A little beyond that is another small nature reserve.

Vermont was settled in the mid to late 1800s, and the name was bestowed by the botanist Baron Ferdinand von Müller.

A minister up in Vermont,
Keeps a goldfish alive in his font;
When he dips the babes in,
It tickles the skin,
which is all that the innocent want.

-ANON.


E2 limerick Nodering
Previous | List | Next

After the Revolutionary War, Vermont took its part in the industrial revolution and became a leading producer of wool, supported by a U.S. embargo against British wool. They cut down 80% (or so) of the forests of the state for grazing.

Then, when the embargoes were lifted, the Vermont economy collapsed. Oops. Now the state is 80% forested, they export maple syrup, dairy products, and Phish Food.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.