The WU I was responding is no longer here. But, I am.

We have nothing but our precieving to base judgement on. Thus, we must judge people on our perceptions of them. There really and truely is no other choice.

If your preconcieved concepts of people get in the way of your understanding them, this is a bad thing. But preconceptions are quite different from preceptions.

Our perceptions may indeed be imperfect. But an imperfect understanding still beats random guessing by a long shot.

Perception is only as good as the perceiver.

OK, here's a way to look at it:

Your perceptions are your misconceptions.

You open the door, and you see bright sunlight. You're standing in front of five thousand people, the arena is at your command. They are waiting for you to say something inspiring, something useful and meaningful, yet you, percieved to be important, influential and just so ... 'it', are standing there, in front of all those people and something clicks in your mind.

You are not who they say you are.

They see you as a leader. Maybe not a 'leader' in a common sense or conventional way of thinking. I'm not here to debate leadership. But surely enough you are of use to them. You can guide, direct, insire, influence. How you do that is not important.
What you are looking for here is the reason why you are judged to the "That Person". People who have never met you, never spoken to you seem to like you? Want to listen to you? Hmm. Right.

What you do realise is that you're not the person they picture you to be. You're quite far from it. But ... does that matter to them? They perceive you as something that you may never live up to. Sure, you may fake it, and perhaps you have been doing that without realising it for a while, but overall ... Their perceptions are their misconceptions. And that was not a bunch of pretty buzzwords.

Would you like to know more?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.