Some people feel that it is their god given right to go through life without someone offending them. If they ever do get offended, the first thing they try to do is censor the person/entity.

Various works of art have been removed from museums, books have been banned, and radio shows taken off the air due to people that believe that they have this special right to not be offended.

Just remember that you do not have a right to not be offended.

There JP. Linked. ;-P

It has been observed that you do not have a right not to be offended. Very true. But the necessary flipside of this is that one does have the right to be offended. If someone produces something which is deliberately or accidentally offensive to a person, that person has no right that can affect the creator - but they do have a right - freedom of speech - to be upset, and to say so. Put up and shut up may be a neat thing to order people to do, but they don't have to do it. We all have a right to respond in our own idiosyncratic ways to life's challenges, and being offended typically doesn't infringe anyone else's rights. So if someone is offended at what you've done, remember that that's their prerogative, and they are not necessarily being small, or weak, or over-sensitive if they object. Also remember that they've probably got no right to take their objections any further.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.