Zootopia is a 3D animated film by Walt Disney Pictures, released in 2016. It is not particularly noteworthy other than that, in the realm of animated family movies, it is better than average.

Judy Hopps, a rabbit, has an unusual dream; she wants to be a cop. While theoretically any animal in the country of Zootopia is as good as any other, cops have traditionally been large animals or predators, and definitely not bunnies. After a stereotypical scene-from-childhood intro and a grueling police academy montage, she makes it, and is assigned to Capital City.

The big animals look down on her, she is assigned as a parking enforcement officer, she insists on a real case, and by dint of moxie and luck gets it... with the condition that if she does not solve it in 48 hours, she will voluntarily resign. There are chase scenes, absolutely massive plagiarism from The Godfather, the criminal with the heart of gold, and all the other things that there must be in this sort of film.

And it's pretty good. This is Disney, so they are careful to keep it funny and lighthearted without resorting to too many farting jokes (actually none, but there is some vulgar body humor), and the pacing and plot are well managed. The characters were likable, and perhaps better written than one might expect from Disney, although Disney has been pretty good in recent years. The animators have fully embraced the possibility of creating a world without making it cartoonish, and there are some immensely satisfying scenes that frame actions perfectly -- minor scenes, like Judy's first fist-bump from a fellow cop, become tiny works of art.

One of the central themes of the film is overcoming bigotry, both between predators and prey (even though animals don't eat each other any more, it's still kind of a sore spot) and between species. This is mostly a clear reference to racism, although a lot of it is vague enough that it could also apply to religious or sexist discrimination. Obviously, everyone is one big happy family by the end of the film, but along the journey the film shows how people stereotype, spin facts, accidently believe spun facts, and believe things that they do not believe that they believe. Which is nice, but it is presented in a way that kids can understand, which is not just nice, but spectacular. One character cheerfully and accurately describes how to guide a press conference, deflecting questions and giving only the information you want -- for kids. This is exactly the sort of thing that we want more people to be aware of, and if they learn it from a bunny police officer, well, I approve.

Overall, I would recommend watching this if you are in the mood for an animated kids' movie, or if you are in the mood for a good movie and don't mind that it happens to be an animated kids' movie. And maybe also if you are a Godfather fan and enjoy hearing your favorite quotes in funny voices.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.