Antidote, a medicine to counteract the effects of poison. For ARSENIC, use tablespoonful of "dialyzed iron," four doses in two hours, followed by castor oil; PHOSPHORUS, MATCHES, "ROUGH ON RATS," large amounts of gum arabic, emetics and epsom salts; CARBOLIC ACID, use epsom salts, sweet oil, white of eggs; CHOLORAL, ipecac in water, 25-35 grains, hypodermic injection of 20th part of grain of strychnine, friction, warmth and artificial respiration; OPIUM, MORPHINE, empty the stomach, inhale ammonia, and give half grain permanganate of potash once an hour. Keep the patient from sleep, and give frequent doses of 30 grains tincture of belladonna, to keep up circulation.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

An"ti*dote (#), n. [L. antidotum, Gr. (sc. ), fr. given against; against + to give: cf. F. antidote. See Dose, n.]

1.

A remedy to counteract the effects of poison, or of anything noxious taken into the stomach; -- used with against, for, or to; as, an antidote against, for, or to, poison.

2.

Whatever tends to prevent mischievous effects, or to counteract evil which something else might produce.

 

© Webster 1913.


An"ti*dote, v. t.

1.

To counteract or prevent the effects of, by giving or taking an antidote.

Nor could Alexander himself . . . antidote . . . the poisonous draught, when it had once got into his veins. South.

2.

To fortify or preserve by an antidote.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.