A traditional South African sausage
, consisting of a mixture of beef, pork and herbs
. Most often cooked on a braai
Traditional boerewors recipe:
- 3 lb. minced beef.
- 3 lb. minced pork.
- 1 lb. spek, cut in quarter inch cubes.
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons salt.
- 1 teaspoon pepper.
- 4 tablespoons coriander.
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1/2 cup vinegar.
- sausage casings.
- Scorch the whole coriander until it turns light brown.
- Remove the coriander from heat and grind until fine. Then measure off 4 tablespoons.
- Mix the beef, pork and spek and all dry ingredients together.
- Pour the vinegar over the mix.
- Mix with a fork. Mix thoughrouly, but lightly.
- Fill casings.
Best fried or braaied.