An expression meaning "to bring home a paycheck."

See also breadwinner. (ironic, eh? Half way to a B.L.T.)

Once upon a time, in the mid-1970’s, in the United States, there was a commercial for Enjoli perfume that was meant to appeal to the feminist “superwoman” ideal:

I can bring home the bacon... Fry it up in a pan... And never ever let you forget you're a man, 'Cause I'm a WOMAN...with Enjoli.

(It’s better if you can imagine this with a kinda striptease drumbeat behind the words, and picture the model in a navy blue suit, obviously fresh from conquering Wall Street and now home for the evening, flinging the frying pan around and preparing to cook dinner, before doing whatever she’s going to do to “never let you forget you’re a man”…)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related only tangentally to this is the fact that, in Dunmow, England, there is a nine-hundred-year-old contest in which married couples who can prove that they have not ‘wished themselves unwed’ for a year and a day can compete for the traditional flitch, aka a ‘Gammon of Bacon.’ From this comes the phrase “eating Dunmow bacon”, which, according to Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, means "To live in conjugal amity, without even wishing the marriage knot to be less firmly tied." Apparently, it’s quite difficult to convince the judges, win the contest, and bring home that bacon.

Brought to you by “The things we learn on E2!”, and the websites http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/shows/fashion/fa1314.php and http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSFeatures0007/13_bacon.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.