Able to creep into corners and crevices, to hence uncover dappled viewpoints, drafting unpredicted deductions.

Cleverness is the art of manipulating faint distinctions, incongruities, and misrepresentations with the objective in mind of unveiling an untried attitude or standpoint.

These people are less "smart" and more skilled, or resourceful. They are marked by wit, deptness, or a great aptitude. They are overall cunning and adroit.

Such clever people and things are Plato, Jean Epstein, Yoko Ono, Moliere, Jennifer Saunders, da Vinci, The Simpsons, Aristotle, Voltaire and Seinfeld.



But be wary. People who aren't intelligent or creative often hide this by being clever. Cleverness is a trait held by the most successful salesmen. Cleverness consists of rearranging known communicative tokens with a deliberate mendacity while having disregard and a lack of appreciation for the purpose of the whole. In this way, the clever person is manipulative. If you keep watching you will see what a clever person hopes to get from you. These people may not be trustworthy but are very quick on their feet.

Cleverness: not to be confused with intelligence, or wisdom.


Quotes on Cleverness:
"A cul-de-sac to which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled." - John A. Lincoln

"It is great cleverness to know how to conceal our cleverness." - François de la Rochefoucauld

"Cleverness is a false presumption... It is like being a natural skater, you are so busy doing tricks to impress that you do not see where the thin ice is and before you know, poof! You are in deep, ice-cold water, frozen like a dead herring. Intelligence is a harder gift. For this you must work, you pust practice it, challenge it, and maybe toward the end of your life you will master it. Cleverness is the shadow, whereas intelligence is the substance." - The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Clev"er (?), a. [Origin uncertain. Cf. OE. cliver eager, AS. clyfer (in comp.) cloven; or clifer a claw, perh. connected with E. cleave to divide, split, the meaning of E. clever perh. coming from the idea of grasping, seizing (with the mind).]

1.

Possessing quickness of intellect, skill, dexterity, talent, or adroitness; expert.

Though there were many clever men in England during the latter half of the seventeenth century, there were only two great creative minds. Macaulay.

Be good, sweet maid, and let who will be clever. C. Kingsley.

2.

Showing skill or adroitness in the doer or former; as, a clever speech; a clever trick.

Byron.

3.

Having fitness, propriety, or suitableness.

"T would sound more clever To me and to my heirs forever. Swift.

4.

Well-shaped; handsome.

"The girl was a tight, clever wench as any was."

Arbuthnot.

5.

Good-natured; obliging.

[U. S.]

Syn. -- See Smart.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.