(Ice) hockey: A player assigned to follow an opposing player whenever the latter is on the ice, in order to prevent him or her from handling the puck, making plays, or otherwise contributing to the offense.

Being an effective shadow requires quickness and the ability to out-think your opponent. Usually a team will assign a checking forward to shadow the opponents' superstar player. A bit of a pugnacious attitude helps, too! If the shadow can annoy his or her target into taking a foolish penalty, so much the better - the target is off the ice, and the shadow's team gets a power play!

A term coined by Jung for psychic material which is shoved into the unconcious by the conconcious. It typically consists of things that we do not like about ourselves, and often is the source for the material that we project onto others. For instance, one source of the hatred that a homophobe directs at a homosexual might be his or her own sexual desires towards members of the same sex.

Shadow is the name of the Sonic look-alike from Sonic Adventure 2.

Shadow is of course on the side of Dr.Eggman and like all the others, wants the Chaos Emeralds.

Shadow looks much like Sonic, but his "hair" is a bit longer and his colors are black and red. He also has a patch of a gray chest hair, but nothing like Austin Powers.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episode Guide

Season 5, Episode 8

Shadow

Original Air Date: November 11, 2000


Joyce, Buffy's mom, is in the hospital for a CAT scan. Meanwhile, at the Magic Shop, Willow and Xander gripe that Riley took off on his own the previous night to go after a nest of vampires instead of waiting for them to come help. Giles suggests that they continue researching Buffy's mysterious enemy. Xander is sure that this opponent must be hiding in some sewer or crypt, just like all the other nasties in Sunnydale.

But the next scene shows the blonde enemy in a posh apartment. We discover that her name is Glory, and she is trying to collect magical items for a spell.

Riley surprises Spike at Buffy's house, where Spike was busy sniffing one of Buffy's sweaters. Spike and Riley snipe at each other for a while, and then Spike asks Riley why he isn't at the hospital with Buffy. Riley seems upset that Buffy didn't tell him where she was going, and goes to the hospital to offer moral support. At the hospital, Joyce has just found out that her CAT scan showed a "shadow" on her brain and the doctors are going to perform a biopsy.

Back at the Magic Shop, Giles and company are discussing the enemy and wonder why they can't find a mention of her in any books. As they talk about her, who should come in, but Glory herself! Completely oblivious, Giles sells Glory the items she requested.

The results of the biopsy show that Joyce has a brain tumor. The doctor explains to Buffy that patients with her mother's disorder have a one in three chance of surviving. Buffy is (understandably) upset, and sets off for the Magic Box to search for a magical cure for her mother.

At the Magic Box, Anya realized that Giles sold two very dangerous artifacts to the same person, and they realize that the girl who came in earlier was the unknown enemy. Meanwhile, Riley takes Dawn out for ice cream, and Dawn tells Riley how much happier Buffy seems with him than she was with Angel. Riley, however, misinterprets this as a comment on Buffy's lack of deep feelings for him.

Buffy hears that Giles sold a transmogrification amulet to Glory and they theorize that she is planning to conjure a snake monster. Buffy finds Glory at the zoo, and they fight. Naturally, Glory throws Buffy across the room and then finishes her spell, which created a giant snake monster. She orders the snake to go find her Key.

Riley meets a woman at a bar and goes out with her to an alley. They kiss and then she changes into her vampire face. Riley allows her to bite him for a few minutes and then stakes her.

The snake finds Dawn at the Magic Shop, sniffs her, and then turns to rush back to Glory. Buffy and Giles chase it in Giles' car. Right before it reaches Glory's apartment, Buffy is able to kill the snake by choking it with a chain.

previous episode | next episode

Shadow is also referred to in Roger Zelazny's Amber Series.

A shadow in this sence is generally considered a parallel universe, created by the powers of Chaos and Order. Any initiate of the powers casts his(her) Shadows if (s)he stays in the same Shadow long enough. A Shadow of a person is a being in a parallel universe that resembles (less and less with distance) the appearance and actions of the initiate of the powers. Theoretically, any immaginable place exists somewhere in the Shadows. Laws of nature differ widely between the shadows, so that the higher technological achievments appear to be working in the more limited number of Shadows. In order to shift or travel between Shadows a person must be a power initiate or follow one. One can also utilize the Shadow ways, Trumps and number of other artifacts and manifestations found in the Amber Universe.

Shad"ow (?), n. [Originally the same word as shade. &root;162. See Shade.]

1.

Shade within defined limits; obscurity or deprivation of light, apparent on a surface, and representing the form of the body which intercepts the rays of light; as, the shadow of a man, of a tree, or of a tower. See the Note under Shade, n., 1.

2.

Darkness; shade; obscurity.

Night's sable shadows from the ocean rise. Denham.

3.

A shaded place; shelter; protection; security.

In secret shadow from the sunny ray, On a sweet bed of lilies softly laid. Spenser.

4.

A reflected image, as in a mirror or in water.

Shak.

5.

That which follows or attends a person or thing like a shadow; an inseparable companion; hence, an obsequious follower.

Sin and her shadow Death. Milton.

6.

A spirit; a ghost; a shade; a phantom.

"Hence, horrible shadow!"

Shak.

7.

An imperfect and faint representation; adumbration; indistinct image; dim bodying forth; hence, mystical reprresentation; type.

The law having a shadow of good things to come. Heb. x. 1.

[Types] and shadows of that destined seed. Milton.

8.

A small degree; a shade.

"No variableness, neither shadow of turning."

James i. 17.

9.

An uninvited guest coming with one who is invited.

[A Latinism]

Nares.

I must not have my board pastered with shadows That under other men's protection break in Without invitement. Massinger.

Shadow of death, darkness or gloom like that caused by the presence or the impending of death.

Ps. xxiii. 4.

 

© Webster 1913.


Shad"ow, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shadowed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Shadowing.] [OE. shadowen, AS. sceadwian. See adow, n.]

1.

To cut off light from; to put in shade; to shade; to throw a shadow upon; to overspead with obscurity.

The warlike elf much wondered at this tree, So fair and great, that shadowed all the ground. Spenser.

2.

To conceal; to hide; to screen.

[R.]

Let every soldier hew him down a bough. And bear't before him; thereby shall we shadow The numbers of our host. Shak.

3.

To protect; to shelter from danger; to shroud.

Shadoving their right under your wings of war. Shak.

4.

To mark with gradations of light or color; to shade.

5.

To represent faintly or imperfectly; to adumbrate; hence, to represent typically.

Augustus is shadowed in the person of neas. Dryden.

6.

To cloud; to darken; to cast a gloom over.

The shadowed livery of the burnished sun. Shak.

Why sad? I must not see the face O love thus shadowed. Beau & Fl.

7.

To attend as closely as a shadow; to follow and watch closely, especially in a secret or unobserved manner; as, a detective shadows a criminal.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.