In chess a "diagonal" refers to a diagonal row of squares on the chessboard, which will necessarily all be either dark squares or light squares. Diagonals are said to be "controlled" by either queens or bishops, and can be "blocked" by other types of pieces, most typically pawns.

Di*ag"o*nal (?), a. [L. diagonalis, fr. Gr. from to angle; through + an angle; perh. akin to E. knee: cf. F. diagonal.] Geom.

Joining two not adjacent angles of a quadrilateral or multilateral figure; running across from corner to corner; crossing at an angle with one of the sides.

Diagonal bond Masonry, herringbone work. See Herringbone, a. -- Diagonal built Shipbuilding, built by forming the outer skin of two layers of planking, making angles of about 45° with the keel, in opposite directions. -- Diagonal cleavage. See under Cleavage. -- Diagonal molding Arch., a chevron or zigzag molding. -- Diagonal rib. Arch. See Cross-springer. -- Diagonal scale, a scale which consists of a set of parallel lines, with other lines crossing them obliquely, so that their intersections furnish smaller subdivisions of the unit of measure than could be conveniently marked on a plain scale. -- Diagonal stratification. Geol. Same as Cross bedding, under Cross, a.

 

© Webster 1913.


Di*ag"o*nal (?), n.

1.

A right line drawn from one angle to another not adjacent, of a figure of four or more sides, and dividing it into two parts.

2. Engin.

A member, in a framed structure, running obliquely across a panel.

3.

A diagonal cloth; a kind of cloth having diagonal stripes, ridges, or welts made in the weaving.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.