The donkey from The Hundred Acre Wood. He's a blue-gray color, and stuffed with sawdust. He likes eating thistles and having his birthday remembered. He hates being bounced. His biggest recurring problems are losing his tail and having to rebuild his house, which never fails to get knocked down again. Eeyore's always gloomy, but he's got a good heart and is a pretty smart cookie. He just has some self-esteem issues, I think, and usually keeps to himself.

Eeyore is a depressed donkey. No matter how hard his friends tigger and pooh try, they can never cheer him up. Its pretty obvious that Eeyore is ashamed of his body.

I really wish I could talk to Eeyore and tell him how beautiful he is.

of all the stuffed idiots that inhabit The Hundred Acre Wood, Eeyore is the only one that knows that he is really just a child's toy. he gets quite gloomy at times since this is a hard reality to bear alone. the other stuffed animals' minds can not comprehend that their universe is a figment of Christopher Robin's imagination. Eeyore knows that there is something much larger and greater outside of his reality that he just can't quite grasp.

being powerless to control his destiny can make him turn from gloomy to outright cranky. here's an example :

from "The Pooh Book of Quotations" by A. A. Milne

"Oh, Eeyore," began Piglet a little nervously, because Eeyore was busy.
Eeyore put out a paw and waved him away.
"Tomorrow," said Eeyore. "Or the next day."
Piglet came a little closer to see what it was. Eeyore had three sticks on the ground, and was looking at them. Two of the sticks were touching at one end, but not at the other, and the third stick was laid across them. Piglet thought that perhaps it was a Trap of some kind.
"Oh Eeyore" he began again, "just----"
"Is that little Piglet?" said Eeyore, still looking hard at his sticks.
"Yes Eeyore, and I-----"
"Do you know what this is?"
"No," said Piglet.
"Its an A."
"Oh," said Piglet.
"Not O, A," said Eeyore severely. "Can't you hear, or do you think you have more education than Christopher Robin?"
"Yes," said Piglet. "No," said Piglet very quickly. And he came closer still.
"Christopher Robin told me it was an A, and an A it is -- until somebody treads on me," Eeyore added sternly. Piglet jumped backwards hurriedly, and smelt at his violets. "Do you know what A means, little Piglet?"
"No, Eeyore, I don't."
"It means Learning, it means Education, it means all the things that you and Pooh haven't got. That's what A means."
"Oh," said Piglet again. "I mean, does it?" he explained quickly.
"Im telling you. People come and go in the Forest and they say, 'Its only Eeyore, so it doesn't count,' They walk to and fro saying 'ha-ha' But do they know anything about A? They don't. Its just three sticks to them. But to the educated---mark this, little Piglet--to the Educated, not meaning Poohs and Piglets, it's a great and glorious A. Not," he added, "just something that naybody can come and breathe on."

Jeeze, you've all got it so wrong.

Eeyore is depressed. Yes. Duh. He's not ashamed of his body. He's not like the rat from Charlotte's Web (Templeton). He's not having some kind of existential crisis brought on by the realization that he's just the figment of Christopher Robin's addled little mind.

Eeyore is a device that the author of the stories used. Sure, if Eeyore was real he might start having some sort of existential crisis, but HE'S NOT REAL. He's a character created by the author for a purpose.

What is that purpose? It's not to say that being depressed is alright. It's not to point out weird Kantian quirks in the realities of children's fiction. It's not to provide a bouncing post for Tigger. Eeyore points out all those things in the world that are good.

He almost always is depressed. He finds the down side of everything. And, just when you'd lost hope, Eeyore finds a butterfly, or a tree blowing in the wind, something of simple, pure beauty. The contrast is what he's for. Pooh just wanders around on a perpetual acid trip. Tigger is also on drugs, probably speed. Piglet needs some drugs, badly. And Rabbit... well, Rabbit is much more of a downer than our favorite mule. So, Eeyore is the only one who looks at the world with at all accurate eyes. And he finds beauty in it, sometimes. That sometimes, that' what keeps us looking, searching. It's what keeps us going.

Eeyore is an old grey donkey that lives in a house made of sticks that seems never to stay together. Eeyore calles The Hundred Acre Woods, and his friend include such animals as Winnie-the-Pooh, Tiger, Piglet, Rabit, Owl, Kangaa, Roo, Gopher and Christopher Robin. Our first encounter with the lovable donkey of A.A. Milne's storybook Winnie-the-Pooh in Chapter Four, was when he was sitting in a thistly corner of the Hundred Acre Woods. Pooh stubles across Eeyore sitting here thinking and being gloomy (as eeyore often is). After talking to Eeyore, Pooh finds out that our donkey friend has lost his tail, and doesn't know where to look, being the good friend that Pooh is, he goes in search of Eeyore's tail. Pooh finds the tail hanging as a bell rope outside of Owl's house, take it to Christopher Robin who gently applies it to Eeyore yet again.

Eeyore is a quiet donkey who doesn't like being bothered and pretty much keeps to himself. There are times when he likes is friends around but those times are rare.

Eeyore's Bio

Description: A donkey, about 18 inches tall and 27 inches long. Stuffed with sawdust. More Description: Intelligent and quiet. Keeps to himself. Always depressed. Current(and only)resident of the House at Pooh Corner.

Address: 100 Aker Wood Southeast, Eeyore's Gloomy Place.

Favorite Thing: Being remembered on his birthday.

Things He Likes: Thistles, pots and burst balloons.

Things He Dislikes: Being bounced, swimming, or broken thistles.

Biggest Problem: His tail keeps coming off.

Second Biggest Problem: His house keeps falling down.

Personal Quote: Bouncy or coffy, it's all the same at the bottom of the river. Nobody Minds. Nobody cares. Pathetic, that's what it is.

Eeyore is also manifested as a small, plush toy which expounds wisdom when his left forepaw is pressed. This small, sagacious donkey-like mammal, however, seems to suffer from a slight disorder, causing him to repeat the same phrases, over and over, in seemingly random order. These phrases, recorded here for posterity's sake, are as follows:

Unhelpful Phrases
I have a question for you, if it's not too much trouble.
You wouldn't want me for a friend, would you?
Sorry to bother you, but is my tail still there?
Do you think I'll get a hug?
Pooh's my best friend, are you my friend, too?

Opening Phrases
Go ahead, ask a question, if you want.
Go ahead, ask me a question.
Got a question? Well, go ahead and ask it.
Hello. I'm Eeyore. What would you like to know?

Answering Phrases
Wouldn't count on it, but that's just me.
Looks like things are goin' your way.
Don't know for sure, but thanks for askin'.
I'll ask Pooh. Try again. Later.
Hooray for you.
Doesn't look good. Doesn't look bad either.
Sorry; not this time.
Ask again later, if you want to.
Go ahead and celebrate.
Looks pretty good.
Outcome looks sorta gloomy.
I'd tell you if I knew, but I don't.
It's your lucky day.
Hrmm, you can't win 'em all.
Looks good... for you. Must be nice.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.