Putting your arms around another person as a show of affection. While some people might consider a hug intimate, most don't, depending on the type of hug. It usually signals that you care for the person, with the amount of caring demonstrated by the intensity of a hug.

Girls love to hug, but guys, on average, aren't as into them - however, there are exceptions to this, and those guys that do love hugs are a wonderful thing. Most guys, though, tend to do either the "bear hug", overdoing it a bit, or doing the "pat on the back" thing that somehow makes it less offensive to masculinity or something like that.

Despite popular opinion there are guys that really enjoy hugs. I know this because I'm one of them. Preferably from females, of course, but there's just something about human contact that is very comforting and enjoyable. For me there is nothing better than a warm hug from someone that I care about. They bring happiness and peace.

Sadly, however, hugs are something that I do not get nearly enough of. This likely has to do with me being a shy computer geek, though I don't know if it would be possible to ever get enough of them. So if you see me, or anyone you think would like one, give a hug. Even if it's just text, you'll be bringing a little sunshine into someone's life.

In a society where people are afraid to physically touch each other and withdraw more and more into their own private worlds, the need for hugs is going up, but the demand isn't being met because people are just too afraid to show their emotions openly.

To second abducted's writeup, go out there and hug the people you love, the people you tolerate, and the people you can barely stand. Or just go out there and hug someone you don't know that well. If the opportunity strikes, seize the chance. There are a lot of shy people out there who like being hugged. Go out there and allow them a higher comfort level so they can pass on the hug. Go ahead. Make their day.

The propensity to hug varies enormously across countries but not always in the way one could expect. It is easy to associate hugs with open and extroverted cultures such as the mediterranean ones.

British people differ a lot from french people when it comes to greetings. For instance when entering a room filled with friends and acquaintances a young french student would kiss the girls on the cheek and shake the boys hands, although this suffers many exceptions: sometimes boys don't bother shaking hands or the whole kissing stage can be skipped altogether if there are too many people to greet.
A british student does not make body contact with his peers at all, he says "hiya" and that is about it for both genders. This lack of physical contact can be more depressing than the poor weather for people used to daily contacts.

The interesting thing is that for the french youth this kissing behaviour is the only kind of intimate body contact friends can have. The case of couples is a bit different as they can indulge themselves in full french kisses and hugs but these would not be ok in any public places.
In Britain on the other hand, if strong ties of friendship exist then people do hug more often, either to greet each other (females mainly) or to say goodbye (be it for the day or the whole month/semester/year/decade) or simply to express affection and support. This must be a kind of compensation for the total lack of contact in the early social life.

To someone who never experienced hugs before this experience came as a revelation. Here you do not need to be in a relationship to show your human feelings and give and receive this warmth and affection, this primal energy that must come from way back in time.

This is one of the things I miss most from the United Kingdom.

Hug (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Hugged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Hugging.] [Prob. of Scand. origin; cf. Dan. sidde paa huk to squat, Sw. huka sig to squat, Icel. hka. Cf. Huckster.]

1.

To cower; to crouch; to curl up.

[Obs.]

Palsgrave.

2.

To crowd together; to cuddle.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hug, v. t.

1.

To press closely within the arms; to clasp to the bosom; to embrace.

"And huggen me in his arms."

Shak.

2.

To hold fast; to cling to; to cherish.

We hug deformities if they bear our names. Glanvill.

3. Naut.

To keep close to; as, to hug the land; to hug the wind.

To hug one's self, to congratulate one's self; to chuckle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hug, n.

A close embrace or clasping with the arms, as in affection or in wrestling.

Fuller.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.