Probably, the most stlyish hat in fashion. Popular amoung the spy, and covert intelligence rings.
Suggests an insidious or sneaky quality to the wearer of said hat. Gives the appearance of being covert or stealthy.

See: The Blues Brothers

i love when you leave
your beat up fedora
a burnt out stogie
and a warm glass of beer
after a long night at it
the hat is good protection
the cigar is good company
and the beer is beer
what more can i say
by the way
you think this guy jerry brown
wears as nice a fedora
as does wilie
three will get you five he does not
yr pal archie

A hat, very popular amongst men from the 1920's through the 1950's Still made popular today be the swing craze and the popularity of mafia movies. I own two fedoras and they are amongst my favorite hats. Usually made of felt.

The word "fedora" has a rather curious etymological origin. It's a feminine form of the Russian name Fedor, from Theodore. In an 1882 play by Victorien Sardou, Fédora, the title character was played by Sarah Bernhardt, who donned a men's felt hat for the role. Women's-rights advocates adopted both the name and the accessory.

How strange are the winds of fashion, both in clothing and outside of it. The Fedora has stood for many things over the years. Currently, it has gathered a weird mixture of connotations onto itself. The modern Fedora wearer, at least in stereotype, is a young man in his 20s, who is a supporter of Libertarianism, atheism and men's rights activism. This also goes along with the idea of the "nice guy", the man who is angry because his self-perceived "niceness" is not recognized and reciprocated by women.

(NB: Future Internet Archaelogist, I promise this makes sense in context.)

What is odd about this is how the internet and its penchant for memes and fractal subculture has brought together what would have once seemed like a diversity of interests and put them all under one hat. A hat that is, of itself, quite innocent of having an entire lifestyle and belief system placed underneath it. But such are the ways of the internet.


This picture, found on Know Your Meme, combines several of the archetypes of the wearer of Fedoras together: The Fedora'd Gentleman

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.