A designation that indicates one floating point operation per second. A floating point operation is, as it may sound, a single activity of floating point mathematics, performed by a microprocessor. The Flop is commonly used as a measure of speed for the microprocessor, as it is more universal than many measures (though still not totally universal).

See also: teraflop, Standard SI Prefixes.

In poker, most commonly in games like Texas Hold-Em and Omaha, the flop is the term used for the initial 3 community cards that are usually dealt face up in the middle of the table. The players use these community cards along with their starting cards to make a poker hand.

In visual media, to flop an image means to create a mirror image of it. If I do this by mistake to one photo in a series (such as by physically "flopping" a film negative), you might wonder how a woman's mole switched to her other cheek.

Flop (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Flopped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Flopping.] [A variant of flap.]

1.

To clap or strike, as a bird its wings, a fish its tail, etc.; to flap.

2.

To turn suddenly, as something broad and flat.

[Colloq.]

Fielding.

 

© Webster 1913.


Flop (?), v. i.

1.

To strike about with something broad abd flat, as a fish with its tail, or a bird with its wings; to rise and fall; as, the brim of a hat flops.

2.

To fall, sink, or throw one's self, heavily, clumsily, and unexpectedly on the ground.

[Colloq.]

Dickens.

 

© Webster 1913.


Flop, n.

Act of flopping.

[Colloq.]

W. H. Russell.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.