Fruit, yum its good, and there are lots of different kinds to choose from so your mouth does not get bored. If you have additions, please /msg me with them.

Alkaline Fruits a sweet flavor is one of the traits of this group
Subacidic Fruits
Acid Fruits an acidic flavor is one of the traits of this group
Melons
More (please message if you have classifications for them)
Classifications

Origin
Composition
Descriptions
Carambola (star fruit)
Pomegranate
Avocado

Thank you to these webpages:

http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/DietandLifestyle/fruit-classification-chart.htm
http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/Plants_Human/fruittype.html
Fruit is the only food nature has intentionally given us for eating. This is from a purely fruitarian point of view, although this statement does have its arguments.

Fruits are a 'delivery package' for propagating seeds, so that the plant may spread its progeny, or 'offspring' (that makes it sound almost endearing). But nature made the delivery package so visually appealing (except for ugly fruit), fragrant, delicious and nutritious for a reason. You see, in the nature, the animals (incl. us humans) have a symbiotic relationship with the plant kingdom. This relationship is beneficial to both us and the plants. The plants need for their seeds to be scattered beyond their immediate vicinity. This ensures that the seeds will be introduced into a wide variety of environments, some of which will harbour ideal environmental conditions for the growth of that pretty, generous (scheming) plant.

Plants evolved their fruits, as a fleshy covering over their seeds, with a twofold purpose, where animals are concerned. First, the colours, fragrances, and tastes are meant to attract the animals to eat them. Second, it would not make sense in this symbiotic relationship between plants and animals for the animals to be poorly nourished; eventually they would become unhealthy and unable to scatter the seeds for the poor little plants.

So instead, the plants concentrate vital nutrients in the fruits with which they attract animals. It is in their own best interest to do so! The survival of the entire animal kingdom is dependent upon this process, for even the carnivores ultimately eat plant eaters, who eat plants. So you can see, the continued health and existence of both plants and animals are dependent upon this symbiotic relationship. The very best thing you can do for the environment, is to eat plentifully of the fruits that nature gives you. You could almost say it is our duty to do so.

They are also the only food that upon being eaten, does not cause a life form to die, or interfere with the process of reproduction, either of plants or animals. This is good stuff for karma whores.

I saw this slogan once, it was pretty lame: "Be cute, eat fruit!" except i think that fruit is cute :) Again, apart from the ugly fruit.

Fruit is (also) an epithet for a gay man, particularly an effiminate gay man.

The Online Etymology Dictionary reports that this narrow sense was first used in 1935, about the same time "gay" came to mean "homosexual" in American prisons. Conjecturally it derives from the light, sweet, colorful nature of fruit. I'm not sure that Carmen Miranda's definingly campy fruit-laden performance in The Gang's All Here had nothing to do with entrenching the term eight years later. Double negative intended, eds.

Some media examples:

  • "All in the Family" (1971)
    Archie Bunker: "I ain't gonna carry that umbrella, Edith, if the guys at work saw me walk in with that, they'd think I've turned into an English fruit."

  • Clue (1985)
    Miss Scarlet (to the acting-gay Mr. Green): "A plant? I thought men like you were usually called a fruit."

  • 2003 News reports
    Brazilian football star Ronaldo publicly claimed that David Beckham was a "kiwi fruit" for wearing his wife's thong. According to Ronaldo, kiwi fruit is slang for (masculine) homosexual because "they are hairy on the outside, but fruity on the inside".

There is even an entire scene in the movie Zorro, the Gay Blade, as reports come to the alcalde about the recent colorfully-dressed crime spree. The humor is built around the fact that the alcalde and his minions are too stupid to get the hint that Zorro (the gay one) is wearing colors of fruit. "Ahaaa! Two fruit, one flower, and one vegetable...I think he is trying to tell me something!"

Today the term feels dated, underpowered, and more fitting a schoolage bully than an adult. If you were to use this in an attempt to deride an adult gay man, you are more likely to be met with laughter than with tears. Still, it is more media-friendly than the unimaginative alternates fag or faggot, so could conceivably show up in a belabored after-school special about tolerance.

This slang roots many corrollary terms such as fruit fly (a woman who hangs out with gay guys), and fruit loops, which can mean either freedom rings, or the circuits (some) gay men walk while cruising a particular place (such as a bar).


Sources
  • http://www.etymonline.com/
  • http://www.imdb.com/

Fruit (?), n. [OE. fruit, frut, F. fruit, from L. fructus enjoyment, product, fruit, from frui, p. p. fructus, to enjoy; akin to E. brook, v. t. See Broook, v. t., and cf. Fructify, Frugal.]

1.

Whatever is produced for the nourishment or enjoyment of man or animals by the processes of vegetable growth, as corn, grass, cotton, flax, etc.; -- commonly used in the plural.

Six years thou shalt sow thy land, and shalt gather in the fruits thereof. Ex. xxiii. 10.

2. Hort.

The pulpy, edible seed vessels of certain plants, especially those grown on branches above ground, as apples, oranges, grapes, melons, berries, etc. See 3.

3. Bot.

The ripened ovary of a flowering plant, with its contents and whatever parts are consolidated with it.

Fruits are classified as fleshy, drupaceous, and -dry. Fleshy fruits include berries, gourds, and melons, orangelike fruita and pomes; drupaceous fruits are stony within and fleshy without, as peaches, plums, and chercies;and dry fruits are further divided into achenes, follicles, legumes, capsules, nuts, and several other kinds.

4. Bot.

The spore cases or conceptacles of flowerless plants, as of ferns, mosses, algae, etc., with the spores contained in them.

6.

The produce of animals; offspring; young; as, the fruit of the womb, of the loins, of the body.

King Edward's fruit, true heir to the English crown. Shak.

6.

That which is produced; the effect or consequence of any action; advantageous or desirable product or result; disadvantageous or evil consequence or effect; as, the fruits of labor, of self-denial, of intemperance.

The fruit of rashness. Shak.

What I obtained was the fruit of no bargain. Burke.

They shall eat the fruit of their doings. Is. iii 10.

The fruits of this education became visible. Macaulay.

Fruit is frequently used adjectively, signifying of, for, or pertaining to a fruit or fruits; as, fruit bud; fruit frame; fruit jar; fruit knife; fruit loft; fruit show; fruit stall; fruit tree; etc.

Fruit bat Zool., one of the Frugivora; -- called also fruit-eating bat. -- Fruit bud Bot., a bud that produces fruit; -- in most oplants the same as the power bud. Fruit dot Bot., a collection of fruit cases, as in ferns. See Sorus. -- Fruit fly Zool., a small dipterous insect of the genus Drosophila, which lives in fruit, in the larval state. -- Fruit jar, a jar for holding preserved fruit, usually made of glass or earthenware. -- Fruit pigeon Zool., one of numerous species of pigeons of the family Carpophagidae, inhabiting India, Australia, and the Pacific Islands. They feed largely upon fruit. and are noted for their beautiful colors. -- Fruit sugar Chem., a kind of sugar occurring, naturally formed, in many ripe fruits, and in honey; levulose. The name is also, though rarely, applied to invert sugar, or to the natural mixture or dextrose and levulose resembling it, and found in fruits and honey. -- Fruit tree Hort., a tree cultivated for its edible fruit. -- Fruit worm Zool., one of numerous species of insect larvae: which live in the interior of fruit. They are mostly small species of Lepidoptera and Diptera. -- Small fruits Hort., currants, raspberries, strawberries, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fruit (?), v. i.

To bear fruit.

Chesterfield.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.