A fictional character introduced in DC Comics Crisis on Infinite Earths. Her primary ability was to replicate herself, existing in several places and times simultaneously. Though created for one story, the character also appeared as the "narrator" of another comic book mini-series The History of the DC Universe. She also appeared in Millenium, The New Guardians and Guy Gardner: Reborn.

As the story goes for her origin, The Monitor was watching the world from his grandiose satelite in space, making plans for his battle against The Anti-Monitor. He happened to see a young girl named Lyla down on Earth drowning, and with his abilities from on high, he pulled her out of the river and cared for her. An orphan from the flood, Lyla became like a daughter to The Monitor, and he raised her and gave her the special abilities she would need to help him defeat the enemy of the Multiverse. However, during the actual strategic battle, The Anti-Monitor tainted one of her replicants, and when that replicant was returned to her full body, it infected her mind and she was turned against the man she loved like a father. As mythic tales go, Harbinger was Judas to The Monitor as saviour. A classic plot device for tales as grandiose as Crisis.

Har"bin*ger (?), n. [OE. herbergeour, OF. herbergeor one who provides lodging, fr. herbergier to provide lodging, F. h'eberger, OF. herberge lodging, inn, F. auberge; of German origin. See Harbor.]

1.

One who provides lodgings; especially, the officer of the English royal household who formerly preceded the court when traveling, to provide and prepare lodgings.

Fuller.

2.

A forerunner; a precursor; a messenger.

I knew by these harbingers who were coming. Landor.

 

© Webster 1913.


Har"bin*ger, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Harbingered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Harbingering.]

To usher in; to be a harbinger of.

"Thus did the star of religious freedom harbinger the day."

Bancroft.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.