Seaport; haven; a place where ships can take on or discharge cargo. Often created in places where the topography offers some protection from the weather, like coves.

The Harbor is a city improvement in the computer game Civilization II. It was not present in the first Civilization, and its addition to the second game has a surprisingly major influence on the game play.

One of the major problems with the first Civ, was, for all of the improvement you can do to land squares, ocean squares couldn't be improved on. So a city that was built on a peninsula or a small island could never get enough food or resources to grow very large.

The Harbor, which can be built fairly early in the game, and fairly cheaply, changes that. It allows each ocean square to generate one additional food, which means that most squares will be generating two food instead of one.

Apart from being a good source of food, this actually has a ripple effect for that city. Since oceans generate more trade then land, and he harbor gives the ability to utilize these ocean squares without losing food production, the net influence of the harbor is a great increase in trade. And with trade, the city can gain more science, tax and luxury. In the end, the harbor can be one of the biggest differences between happy growing cities; and cities in unrest with famine.

Other then the temple, which is a neccesity (especially at higher levels of game play), the harbor is one of the most important city improvements to build, up until your civilization switches to a more advanced form of government, and its cities start needing a large number of improvements.

Har"bor (?), n. [Written also harbour.] [OE herbor, herberwe, herberge, Icel. herbergi (cf. OHG. heriberga), orig., a shelter for soldiers; herr army + bjarga to save, help, defend; akin to AS. here army, G. heer, OHG. heri, Goth. harjis, and AS. beorgan to save, shelter, defend, G. bergen. See Harry, 2d Bury, and cf. Harbinger.]

1.

A station for rest and entertainment; a place of security and comfort; a refuge; a shelter.

[A grove] fair harbour that them seems. Spenser.

For harbor at a thousand doors they knocked. Dryden.

2.

Specif.: A lodging place; an inn.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

3. Astrol.

The mansion of a heavenly body.

[Obs.]

4.

A portion of a sea, a lake, or other large body of water, either landlocked or artificially protected so as to be a place of safety for vessels in stormy weather; a port or haven.

5. Glass Works

A mixing box materials.

Harbor dues Naut., fees paid for the use of a harbor. -- Harbor seal Zool., the common seal. -- Harbor watch, a watch set when a vessel is in port; an anchor watch.

 

© Webster 1913.


Har"bor (?), v. t. [Written also harbour.] [imp. & p. p. Harbored (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Harboring.] [OE. herberen, herberwen, herbergen; cf. Icel. herbergja. See Harbor, n.]

To afford lodging to; to enter as guest; to receive; to give a refuge to; indulge or cherish (a thought or feeling, esp. an ill thought).

Any place that harbors men. Shak.

The bare suspicion made it treason to harbor the person suspected. Bp. Burnet.

Let not your gentle breast harbor one thought of outrage. Rowe.

 

© Webster 1913.


Har"bor, v. i.

To lodge, or abide for a time; to take shelter, as in a harbor.

For this night let's harbor here in York. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.