By John Donne.

With his kind mother, who partakes thy woe,
Joseph turn back; see where your child doth sit,
Blowing, yea blowing out those sparks of wit,
Which himself on the Doctors did bestow;
The Word but lately could not speake, and loe
It suddenly speaks wonders, whence comes it,
That all which was, and all which should be writ,
A shallow seeming child, should deeply know?
His Godhead was not soul to his manhood,
Nor had time mellow'd him to this ripenesse,
But as for one which hath a long task, 'tis good,
With the Sunne to begin his businesse,
He in ages morning thus began
By miracles exceeding power of man.

Back to La Corona.

In France, the Temple was a monastery in Paris, built during the 13th century. During the French Revolution, one of the towers of the Temple was used as a prison for Louis XVI and the royal family, from August 10, 1792 until their executions.

The name "Temple" was also applied to churches in Paris and elsewhere in France, after the Convention abolished Catholicism (October 14, 1793).

The following is a partial list of some of the more notable Temples in Paris:


Note(s):

1 See Theophilanthropy.


Addenda:

In modern French, temple can also mean a Protestant church. I am uncertain whether this usage has any relationship to the above. (Thanks to Albert Herring for reminding me of this.)

I am also reminded (by thbz - thanks!) that, naturally, temple can also mean other non-Catholic (e.g. Buddhist, Greek-Orthodox, Hindu) places of worship.

In Civilization and Civilization II, the temple is a city improvement that makes discontented citizens content. Since a city with discontented citizens goes into rebellion and becomes totally non-productive, building temples quickly becomes a neccesity.

A temple requires only the simple civilization advance of ceremonial burial and a relativly small amount of resource shields to build. However, often it must be built so early in the game that cities don't have enough shields to build them quickly.

While there are different strategies for playing Civ, with different emphasis on what structures to build in each, at higher levels of the game, building temples quickly is a neccesity, independent of what strategy you choose to pursue afterwords.

Temple is a book by Australian science fiction author Matthew Reilly, set in the South American jungle. The book is split between two different timelines, one following monk Alberto Santiago in 1535 and one Professor William Race in the present. Race has been recruited by DARPA to read the ancient Spanish manuscript left by Santiago and guide the DARPA team to an Incan idol described within it, made of a rare extraterrestrial element called thyrium that holds incredible power. They meet competition from others wanting the same power for themselves. Twists in one timeline affect the other in a complex web of action with unpredictable twists and turns right until the end.

Reilly is reportedly planning a sequel to Temple following the same two-in-one style and featuring Professor Race again.

Tem"ple (?), n. [Cf. Templet.] (Weaving)

A contrivence used in a loom for keeping the web stretched transversely.

 

© Webster 1913


Tem"ple, n. [OF. temple, F. tempe, from L. tempora, tempus; perhaps originally, the right place, the fatal spot, supposed to be the same word as tempus, temporis, the fitting or appointed time. See Temporal of time, and cf. Tempo, Tense, n.]

1. (Anat.)

The space, on either side of the head, back of the eye and forehead, above the zygomatic arch and in front of the ear.

2.

One of the side bars of a pair of spectacles, jointed to the bows, and passing one on either side of the head to hold the spectacles in place.

 

© Webster 1913


Tem"ple, n. [AS. tempel, from L. templum a space marked out, sanctuary, temple; cf. Gr. &?; a piece of land marked off, land dedicated to a god: cf. F. témple, from the Latin. Cf. Contemplate.]

1.

A place or edifice dedicated to the worship of some deity; as, the temple of Jupiter at Athens, or of Juggernaut in India. "The temple of mighty Mars." Chaucer.

2. (Jewish Antiq.)

The edifice erected at Jerusalem for the worship of Jehovah.

Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.
John x. 23.

3.

Hence, among Christians, an edifice erected as a place of public worship; a church.

Can he whose life is a perpetual insult to the authority of God enter with any pleasure a temple consecrated to devotion and sanctified by prayer?
Buckminster.

4.

Fig.: Any place in which the divine presence specially resides. "The temple of his body." John ii. 21.

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1 Cor. iii. 16.

The groves were God's first temples.
Bryant.

Inner Temple, ∧ Middle Temple, two buildings, or ranges of buildings, occupied by two inns of court in London, on the site of a monastic establishment of the Knights Templars, called the Temple.

 

© Webster 1913


Tem"ple (?), v. t.

To build a temple for; to appropriate a temple to; as, to temple a god. [R.] Feltham.

 

© Webster 1913


Tem"ple, n.

1. (Mormon Ch.)

A building dedicated to the administration of ordinances.

2.

A local organization of Odd Fellows.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.