A double-layer of amphipathic lipid molecules arranged with their nonpolar hydrocarbon tails facing inward. These bilayers can spontaneously form under certain conditions; the plasma membranes of animal cells are formed mainly from phospholipid (phosphate-containing lipids) bilayers.

From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Ode to the Phospholipid Bilayer

Oh phospholipid bilayer, you separate life from non-life; cytoplasm from ECF. Your flexible form keeps your flock from dissipating into the interstitial neverland.

You are the shooting star of the microscope world with your polar heads and non-polar tails!

Your molecular structure is simple and delicate, yet strong and protective. The cytoplasm rejoices at your embrace!

Proteins are imbedded in your heart. Sometimes my heart leaps up when I behold long glimmering chains of carbohydrates, bejeweling your surface- your beauty is only heightened by your glycerol and glycoprotein jewels!

Your receptor proteins… How I long to be a molecule that fits perfectly onto your surface, utilizing those most wondrous receptor proteins!

How I hope that your differentially permeable membrane will allow me in. I would be glad to diffuse across you freely, but please bring me to you somehow. Never never let me be packaged by the golgi apparatus; I must not be torn from you by exocytosis!



My friend and I wrote this together to study Biology. We are equally insane.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.