Liquidity risk is a term in finance. In essence, it is the risk that an asset you might want to trade in the future can no longer be traded, or can no longer be traded without excessive cost - in other words, the risk it is no longer liquid. Okay, so, we have a nice dictionary definition. But what does this mean?

This whole definition revolves around the word "liquid". Liquid means "easy to convert to cash", and usually also the other way around. Imagine I have a market, in which there is a bid for 10.000 shares at 20.51 dollars. Want to sell more? Fine, there is another bid for 30.000 shares at 20.50 dollars. Hence, I can sell 40.000 shares for an average price of 20.5025 dollars. Imagine the ask price is at 20.52 for 20.000 shares, and 20.53 for another 20.000. This means I can buy 40.000 shares for an average price of 20.525. Hence, I can buy and sell a little over 800,000 worth of shares for a total cost of 900. which is not excessive. In other words, if for some reason I have to sell a position I just bought a moment ago, this will cost me around 0.1% of the value of the position, which is not a huge risk

Liquidity risk is the risk that this situation changes-for the worse. Imagine I bought these 40.000 shares, and the whole market crashes. Now, in this case, the market might be 17.05 bid and 17.09 ask-but only for 1000 shares. To do my 40.000 shares, I will need hit several bids. Imagine that there is 1000 more at 17.03, 1000 more at 17.01, all the way down. In this case, even though the theoretical price of the stock is 17.07, I will actually only sell on average for something like 16.64-another 2.5% loss! And, imagine I had even more shares, like 80.000-the position might be too large to unwind.

To give you another example: Many exchanges temporarily close for instantaneous trading if they drop too much, or suspend trading in a stock if it drops too rapidly. This in essence means you are stuck, cannot cut your losses, and cannot control your risk.

As unpleasant as this sounds, this is actually a rather benign form of liquidity risk. For common stocks, bonds, and options, the market will open again, and you will be able to cut your losses. Now, imagine you are trading some special product, like an option on a bond issued by a third-world country or whatever. Presently, there are a few parties trading these bonds. Now, imagine a famine strikes your third-world country. No one knows what the bond is worth, let alone the option. So, no one will be willing to buy it from you at any reasonable price: you are pretty much stuck with it. You can't hedge, can't get out, and are left with a huge, uncoverable risk - or maybe, your boss is, as you will likely be fired.

Now, to add insult to injury, liquidity tends to dry up when you need it most. In other words, when panic ensues, everyone wants to get out through the same small hole. We all know what happens when we try to force too many people through a small hole. This makes liquidity risk a very serious risk, especially if you are a big firm.

In case you were wondering, yes, liquidity risk is one of the things that allowed the whole subprime crisis to become as bad as it got. Banks had large positions in subprime bonds or derivatives based on subprime bonds. When the crisis hit, suddenly no one knew that the bonds were worth, and there were few people wanting to trade them. This not only meant that there was no good way of determining the value of these bonds, and hence, no way to know how badly the banks were hurt. It also meant the banks could not unwind their position to get capital back - they were pretty much stuck and had to ask for a government bailout.

In summary, liquidity risk is the risk that it is not possible to trade a significant volume in a product when you need to so. This is a pretty serious risk, as it usually happens when you badly need to trade. The problem is typically larger for a large firm than for a private investor, as private investors rarely need to unwind a large position.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.