A very old saw. Essentially what it means is that there is no rhyme or reason when it comes to affairs of the heart.

Love is blind. This is the reason why the girl you've had a crush on since Freshman Orientation is going out with some pumped up jerk who treats her like shit instead of you. It's also the reason why you have no clue what your friends are trying to tell you when they say that your new girlfriend is a possessive psycho-bitch.

If, six months after you've broken up with someone, you look back at your relationship and think to yourself, Wtf? What was I thinking?, your answer is this: Love is blind.

We are not given the luxury of choosing the women we fall in love with.
--Martog (Deep Space Nine)

Originally, as the Greek god Eros he was a fundamental part of life - the amoral desire for all things to mix and mingle. He was described as "the most beautiful of all the immortal gods, who loosens the limbs and overcomes judgment and wise counsel in the breasts of gods and all humans." With this aspect, Eros was the strength and power of love rather than the more romantic, sensual pleasure - those were the aspects of Aphrodite.

As the Romans borrowed Greek Mythology, he became the son of Venus and was named Cupid. There, Love moved from an effect to a cause. It was Cupid that had the bow and arrows, not Eros. From a mature power, Love became a mischievous boy casting arrows of infatuation without concern for the feelings of those who were struck.

The image of a "blind boy-boy" as Shakespeare called him in Romeo and Juliet was added in medieval art to represent what appears to be a entirely random process of how we fall in love. Some attribute this image to the followers of Alexander Neckham who added blindness to the attributes of Cupid. One early example of this from the poem titled 'Der Walsche Gast' (from about 1215) where the line Love says: 'I am blind and I make blind'.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.